A few things to log as it has been 2 weeks since my last blog entry. First and foremost I visited Andy Bull at Sydney Sports Physio. I have to give Andy a massive wrap, he listened, advised and really got me focussed again on my recovery. The amount of time he spent with me is what I would classify as above and beyond. Whilst he gave me straight up answers about what was required for recovery I actually left his office feeling as though I would run again in the forseeable future. He gets my full reccomendation, someone who runs, hence understands runners and really knows his stuff. Just brilliant.
To summarise my visit, essentially I have been suffering from a bruised heel (for 5 months) which along with the wrong racing shoe and a significant pronation issue spelt the beginning of other problems(pf and achilles tendonitis).
Unfortunately it means the end of my relationship with Brooks Burn as they do not offer the stability I need. I am really dissapointed as I have run every pb in this shoe from 3km to the Marathon. I remember clearly the day I first tried them on and just falling in love! So I will be on the hunt for a good lightweight trainer with a last.
The (bloody)good news is that as of last week I have slowly started easing back in to my running. After a week solid of doing all the right things ice, massage, stretch, anti inflams I decided after a really heavy day at work, it was time to hit the road again.
I went out to the bay and headed off, very slowly towards the iron cove bridge. I have to say those first few hundred metres were as exciting as they were nerve wracking. Before I knew it the only pain I felt was absolute burning sensation in my lungs which kicked in less than 1km into my run. All I could manage was 5 minute pace and this really really hurt.
I got home and iced my foot immediately and massaged and stretched. I woke in the morning to the usual dull pain as I arose but a quick masssage before I got vertical sorted that out. As runners we get to know our bodies more intimately as the years go by. So I am in a situation where I can manage my recovery and still run. As long as I am careful.
Work has been beyond feral lately, which really precludes any significant ability to participate in a more active way in the blogging scene. So if I havent visited your blog or commented recently, please accept my apologies. I will pop up again from time to time when it allows.
I have done some marshalling with Striders recently which i have enjoyed. I also took some photos on both occasions, suffice to say that AAP havent been in touch to secure rights to any of my images! It seems I suffer on both sides of the shutter!
Back to running, I am working on a run one day swim the next plan at present, with a view to gradually increasing the kms and then the days. I am hosting the 7am group sunday week at the star and would really love not to have to pull the pin. At this stage I am looking good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That's really fantastic news SF. I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you find some shoes that you can love as much as your old ones!
Great news Nick!
I know how you feel about the shoes. I ran in Brooks Beasts (previously Chariots) forever until getting PF and achilles tendonitis. We were forced to separate :-(
Fingers crossed all continues to go well with the recovery.
It's great when you get wise advice and direction.
Glad to see your spirits are up.
TA
Really great to finally hear some positive noises from the old SF ;)
Hope your recovery plan stays on track and that 2006 becomes a great year in the life of the fox
Great to hear you are back on the road again Nick, appreciate your marshalling at Striders events, catch you at the races.
Thats great news SF remember not to overdo it though or else you'll kick yourself (metaphorically!)
Post a Comment