Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Not a great deal to report

Just a quick blog update. On the running front there is no real improvement unfortunately. This is an incredibly frustrating time as I am itching to run again.

Poolrunning has given me an outlet however it is arguably more boring than actually swimming laps. So I have been swimming and/or poolrunning 4 times a week. I try and mix it up but at the moment its a means to the end with the end being running again, hopefully soon. I try and mix it up to keep it interesting but to be honest I dont really enjoy it.

I often think as I trudge(and I choose this word carefully!) to the pool how I admire the people that are so single minded about there recoveries. I simply dont have that spark to bust it out doing anything else but running. I am very aware how tragic that sounds however it is as truthful as I can be.

The positives are that my swimming times are slowly coming down so i have committed to swim with my brother in law some ocean swim at Balmoral in a couple of weeks. I am not sure how far but if it is any longer than 2 ks I am in strife!

The other positive step I have taken is I am seeing Podrunner on thursday to see if I need orthotics and get some advice on recovery. I am your typical male who has an aversion to visiting anyone remotely associated with the medical professional so for me this is big.

Again I am feeling very guilty about not responding to all the kind words. I am so appreciative of the positive feedback, it is really awesome. But a combination of a hectic start to the working year along with a mild case of malais has seen me drop off the radar. So I promise and look forward to getting around to all blogs at some point this week to catch up with what others have been up to.

9 comments:

Cirque said...

Trudging is a really good word to describe the way it feels to do anything but running during an injury.

Good luck and I hope you recover as soon as possible. Please don't stop blogging so we can follow your progress.

2P said...

Glad to hear you are still out there Nic - hopefully it won't be too long before you will have some running to add to all that great work you have been doing in the pool.

Stick with it mate ;-)

Tesso said...

Don't go enjoying that competitive swimming caper too much! We want you back running.

Good luck with your visit to Podrunner. Fingers crossed he can sort you out.

Dave said...

Keep the chin up mate!

It will all get sorted out, especially with podrunner on the case :)

Superflake said...

Nick only 1k swim distance mate. That is a real short one. Hope Andy sorts a few things out for you and you get back running soon.

Gronk said...

Sorry to see your still having dramas. Good luck with your swim and your appointment with PR.

Lulu said...

Hi SF, at least you are doing everything you can to get better and I know how frustrating it is. I am really struggling to maintain any other form of exercise!

I know water running is bit boring but have you tried doing some interval training in the pool. That's one of the things I do to keep it a bit more interesting 2 mins hard 30 secs jog or whatever intervals you like. That helps me do a longer session otherwise it is a tad boring. Doing it in the ocean also helps.. much more interesting scenery!

TA and the Gnome said...

Welcome back to blogland Nic! Join all the other non running bloggers like me. Hope Andy has some helpful suggestions.

TA

R2B said...

Keep your head up and remember that
"this too shall pass"
and before long it will be a memory.