If you have followed my tail of woe, you would think I was only beggar in the world who has suffered a setback with injury. After my last post the bad news is that I havent run since March 3. Unfortunately I hadnt completely recovered from the bruised heel and a lacklustre 10km effort at Striders excascerbated my foot to the point where I could barely walk the next day.
I cannot begin to describe how frustrating it has been. Each morning I awake to the sound of number 2 ready to have his morning feed. I turn to mother and tell her how painful it is to walk down the stairs to fetch him. No sympathy from mother however at 5.30, she informs when I am able to breastfeed she will go and get him!
I have the words- 'you cant run on it until it doesn't hurt anymore' ringing in my head. I reckon I was 90% right and possibly an extra 2 weeks or so would have seen me back running now instead of starting back at square one. What can I say, I am an impatient fool. So comeback number 4 is well under way hopefully.
The good news is that I am having positive results from massage. I have it massaged by Nikki's sister who is a qualified masseur(sp) whenever I can and self massaging every night with voltarin. She has offered to look at for ages but for one reason or another it was only recently that I asked her to take a look(it is not the sort of thing you would ask your in law to do on Christmas day/christenings/birthdays etc!)
Nikkis sister had one feel of the affected area and said I had 3 significant areas of calcification in the heel(ie 3 heel spurs!). I was at her home the next day for a proper massager and have been improving ever since.
So the proverbial piece of string is no closer to discovering its finite length visa vi (sp) recovery time. However it feels about as good as it did when I resumed running last time but I am being incredibly cautious. I am still suffering significant pain first thing in the motrnings but it is decreasing and I am hoping to be back running in April sometime, but only when everything is back to normal.
The other positive is that my swimming has improved considerably - I still find that very boring, but at least it gets the heartrate going and has helped me not stack on too much extra poundage. That said there will be about 5 or 6 kgs to shed to back to best running shape.
Apologies for very bland blog entry if you follow it, but this has been one of my hardest postings to date. To be perfectly honest I have avoided blogging as it is becoming increasingly more difficult to post the bad news and the reasons why I am posting it.
I am not one to dwell too much though, I am pragmatic about my running and where it slots into the big picture. I guess that whilst one part of the puzzle doesnt come together at a particular point, it allows us to focus in other areas of our lives. Running is really big for me but it doesnt rule my world. I do however look forward to devoting some more time to this area of the puzzle again in the not too distant future.
Hopefully some good news not too far down the way.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I'm feeling it with you. Hang in there.
Oh Nick, you poor bugger :-( Its such a painful thing, I woudn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I was wondering why you hadn't blogged and was hoping like hell it was just because you were too busy.
Hang in there. If good thoughts count for anything you will be back in action in no time at all.
Glenn Mcgrath had bone spur surgery and was back bowling in 2 months. Although you don't want the surgery not that drastic. Hope you get over it quick. And remember again if it hurts to touch before I run I shouldn't be running! I guess you are helping at Domain then?
I've been wondering what was happening. Don't push it - you'll be back. For the moment, just enjoy the extra few kilos :-)
Gnome
Hey Nick you didn't look like you'd put 4-5 kilos on when I met you at the pool. I feel for you mate, hopefully you'll be back out there pounding the pavement soonish.
All the best!
I was wondering where you were. Sorry to hear it's being such a battle. It's so tempting to go back to running sooner than we should or to do too much to soon.
Take care.
Good to hear from you. Sorry the injury isn't heeling as quick as hoped. Hang in there mate !
When I saw your name come up on bloglines I smiled... may not be the best of news but at least there is a way forward.
Keep on blogging Nick and let us know how it is going ;-)
Hang in there Nick. You are a very sensible person and I'm sure you will not push the envelope too soon again. You will be back running again soon. Just be patient.
Not good mate - hope your right soon.
get well soon!
Thought things were not going well and I am upset to see that you need toi go back to square one (or lamost) again. Nick get on top of it this time so that the second half of the year so that we can share some runs together again.
Post a Comment