I had never prepared myself better for a race than I had for Canberra in 2005. So when it went pearshaped at about 26kms I vowed that I would return bigger and better next year. 2006 was to be the year for redemption.
Canberra in 2005 was unseasonably warm and was probably my downfall. So as I stood in nothing but a pair of smugglers with a cold sou wester whipping off a chilly Lake Macquarie (that I was just about to jump into) at about 9.55am, I couldn't help but think that this was about the time I would have hoped to have crossed the finishline at Forest Public School, about 500kms south as the crow flies. Life certainly has its ironies!
So why was I standing there in my speedos? Long story. I had promised my Brother in law(BIL) that I would do one of these ocean swims. We had arranged to do the Balmoral swim 3 weeks earlier as he was organising some of his swimming club to do this swim also. With a race to aim at finally I had some direction with my swimming and hit the pool every second day religiously. Unfortunately race day coincided with me being at my worst with a bad chest infection and I opted not to swim.
My BIL is a hard bastard who would not let me off lightly so to prove my inability to swim I actually turned up at Balmoral. His comment was that the swim would help knock it out of my system! I declined but promised to keep my word to do an ocean swim with him and decided on the Caves Beach swim.
So mother and I packed the kids in the car on saturday and headed up to Ourimbah to stay with my parents for the night. We met my parents and my brothers family at a Thai restaurant and I was advised that a 5 metre swell courtesy of a massive low in the Tasman Sea would hit most of the NSW coastline tomorrow. This at least took my mind off the noahs!
Actually I am not put off by sharks but I am no hero when it comes to the big stuff. But I knew that it wouldn't be on in those conditions so had switched my mind to not swimming and spending time with my parents tomorrow.
However an early morning call on sunday from BIL advised that the race would now be held in Lake Macquarie from Raffertys Resort.
As I headed up the F3 to Swansea I started to get the pings in the stomach that go hand in hand with the realisation that you are about to challenge yourself. Having never done an open water swim longer than 500 metres this presented me with a real fear of the unknown. Each time I raced last year I would get this feeling. I realised more than ever that life is at its best when you stretch yourself from your comfort zone. It was nice to have that sensation again.
I taught myself last year how to compose and channel myself - so running does help your swimming! As I took that plunge off that jetty into Lake Macquarie I just told myself to relax, nothing silly at the start and once you get some room to take it from there.
It was bloody unreal and I enjoyed every second of the race. I started from my wave somewhere in the middle of the pack and followed my plan of not trying to outsprint everyone but chill until I had some open water. Once I got into some space I just put my head down, concentrated on being long and strong and not swimming too far off course! We swam a recangular course pretty much directly into the southerly on the way out and had it behind us coming back. Apart from a bit of a shocker after the first buoy when I headed for a wrong buoy I wasn't too directionally challenged.
I finished the 1.5km swim in 26.02, I was really pleased and felt like I had a fair bit of petrol left. I was really impressed with the vibe. The local Caves surf club put on the race and it was very friendly, not dissimilar to turning up to a small but well organised local fun run.
On the running front my foot is still no better, I have done some marshalling, which is good as it allows me to keep in touch with my running friends who I probably wouldn't see otherwise. It is by far the biggest thing I miss.
Monday, April 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Great Swim SF. Glad you found a good buzz from competing.
Hope the foot starts to improve soon.
Good one Silverfox. I had a swim after my soft sand race on Sunday in the surf. We don't call it going for a bod bash for nothing. Great waves to body surf though. And always a free cap out of the swim. Come back soon mate.
Good to hear from you SF - it is a nice part of the world up there huh?
Its the blue ringed occies ya gotta watch out for up there ;-)
Phew, I wouldn't mind a time like that for a 1.5km open water swim.
Like Plu says might be time to look at a tri bike. Might see you at the weekend?
So glad you've had something to channel yourself into, but we're still looking forward to getting you back among us :-)
Gnome
Hey, great effort Fox! Have to love the ocean swim series, and Rafferty's Resort is a less than terrible place to find yourself on a weekend :)
Glad you're still enjoying being a part of the running while things are still a little dicey on the foot. Will be great when we can finally have you back amongst us - I know how much the guys down there miss you, and the Sydney races that I can get to are coming up soon-ish too. Look forward to catching up with you (on the starting line) soon mate.
Hope you're not off for too much longer Nick. I'm sure the running community appreciate your efforts in marshalling etc but they'd much rather have you running alongside them.
Well done SF. What a great time!
You are right. There is no better place to be than outside your comfort zone. I hope we are both 'out there' more often this year than last :-)
That is a very decent swim Nick. Great to see you still enjoying life. Look forward to seeing you back out on the road again.
Couldn't swim 150 meters so I am very impressed by the distance. I am disspaointed you are not back to running - hope you are there sooner rather than later.
Post a Comment