Sunday, February 25, 2007

insert clever title encapsulating 5 months absence...


(Insert Richie voice here...) Welcome back to the blog for the first time this year. Marvellous to have the fox back blogging again, really super stuff.

Actually I was prodded yesterday morning by the original blogger http://martinpharris.blogspot.com and I had been contemplating a resurrection so here it is, fox on the run, mark 2.

A lot has happened over the last 5 months outside of running that had a massive impact on running itself. I am going to attempt to avoid jibbering however after such a long time this will be impossible. I will attempt to be brief.

In all seriousness, 2006 took me to some pretty low and cavernous places personally. The start of the year was marred by a chronic injury. Then work flipped upside down and I took on too much when I had planned on scaling back to 4 days a week. Nikki then got very crook and to be honest when I look back now I really don't know how we managed.

I had been desperately unhappy and stressed at work. So in September I decided in a classic mid life crisis moment to advise exactly where my new arrogant f#@ker of a boss where he could stick his job! Okay I just resigned!

We headed away for a week in October to Port Macquarie and seriously contemplated a sea change. We soon realised however the realities behind such a move were fairly stark. Whilst we haven't totally discounted a move it certainly wont be in the next few years.

Meantime after finally finishing work in early December I started an indefinite career break or summer holiday! Lots of swimming running and doing family stuff you don't get the chance to do when your head is so full of work. We also decided to sell the house as we had an opportunity for something bigger and better not too far away, so also lots of stuff around the place to get it ready to sell.

Which we did and are now on the move to Earlwood! As of mid may anyone not on the southside of the Cooks River is officially a northside toff!

I am also now back at work. I decided to give consulting a crack, as it affords me the opportunity to diversify and be 1 step removed. I have a 9 month contract that will probably be 12 months working on a very big HRIS implementation. So far so good.

Meantime Nikki is back to good health and the kids are as happy and cheeky as ever - thankfully that never changed...if only as adults we were so resilient.

Thank goodness for running through all of the above. There is no way I will attempt to recall all of the running, but I have managed to get back to kms to around 70 -90kms per week. Thanks in particular to my compadre 26 who no doubt has learnt when to tune out when I would start raving on. Or he would pick up the pace leaving me in his wake...this happened way too many times for my liking! Thanks mate for keeping me honest.

Highlights have been a great run at the Central Coast half in perfect conditions for me, chucking down, my absolute favorite (see photo above - it was pissing down).

Also some really solid efforts out in the heat and humidity at Smiffo, in particular last sunday when I felt like I was really in control again for the first time in a long time.

My plan of attack is to have a good base of training to attempt a serious marathon tilt in the middle of the year, although lowkey probably Macleay River. First cab off the rank however is a red hot go at the SMH half where my goal is sub 82.

As always Sydney takes pride of place as my main race, number 7 in 07. However there will be no half arsed attempts at the marathon. My absolute main focus is to be as prepared as I can possibly muster to run that elusive sub 3 hour marathon. It is my monkey and I want to say goodbye to it this year. Lets see how we go...





2 comments:

Mister G said...

It's okay Nick, we've been able to vicariously track your running (once removed) by reading 26's blog...

Nice to have you back.

Martin said...

Good to have you back Nick. Great picture as well! Will look forward to following the blog to your sub3 in Sep!