Monday, September 25, 2006

Sydney Marathon & beyond



As my last post indicated, unfortunately events at home transpired that werent exactly conducive(sp) to a full-on tilt at the marathon. For the 4 weeks leading into the marathon my training virtually ground to a halt, there simply was no time to run.

Of greatest concern was missing the last scheduled longest long run. This made me incredibly nervous. When this run was compromised I made my up mind that any serious tilt would have to be shelved. To be honest my head was still thinking about the marathon but it really was the least of my worries.

I contacted O runner and initially put my hand up to run the 3.15 pace group. I actually almost created another stress on myself as my head, which rapidly fills with self doubt at the best of times, questioned my ability to run this pace. In hindsight I probably would have done this reasonably comfortably but I realy didnt want to let anyone down.

So when I read on Daves blog his concerns re the 3.30 group I almost breathed a sigh of relief as I knew that this would be achievable. Things started to turn around for the better, work settled down, daycare took the kids for 5 days and most importantly mother finally joined us back at home.

Race day loomed large and for the first time on the eve of the marathon I was as relaxed as you could be. I organised to hook up with 26 on the train, I really missed the last few weeks of training with Steve. I knew how hard he had worked to get to the start line and was keen to make sure he was ready to go that morning. I neednt have worried, he was healthily nervous without being a quivering mess!

I joined Springer on the bridge deck to see the halfers off and heade back to the start where we met O to get the funny yellow flags. We had a quick chat and agreed that Dave would drive the bus and I would sweep making sure we didnt leave anyone behind. We would see how we wwere travelling at half way. We both agreed that a bit of padding was going to be needed for the back half of the course.

So we joined the start and before you knew it we were surrounded by a dozen or so runners who knew nothing of personal space! In all seriousness it was nice to meet a few of the people and hopefully settle them down. Speaking from experience I know exactly how energy sapping excessive nerves can be - Canberra 05, my race was toast before I ran it purely because I had used up so much petrol trying to keep a lid on my composure.

Before I knew it we making our way across the bridge. I was using all my best Comedy 101 gear and we hadnt reached 5kms! I actually felt sorry for anyone who had decided to run the distance with the thinning/greying man in the vice like grip of a midlife crisis!

Daves pacing through the first half of the course was exactly to plan. By the halfway mark we had about 2 minutes of fat up our sleeve and most were travelling well. I had a feeling though that a bit more was going to be required. I figured that around 3 minutes would be necessary. I pulled up next to Dave and we agreed that I would take the front out a bit firmer to build a bit more of a buffer.

So a core of about 8 headed off form the main pack. I dont have the splits anymore but we rattled off KMS of around 4.50-4.55 (give or take a few offish km markings). This group ran really well together and once we reached the other side of the city (around 30kms) I sent them on there way as they were well in control.

So I started to slow back to pick up other runners, which had got caught between the front and back marker. I would run with them for a few minutes to see how they were fairing and to offer some encouragement. I was a bit worried about taking the front out a little hard, however the pace I had run at I felt gave the majority of people the best chance of breaking 3.30 on that course. Saw 26 charging though at about 35kms for him and gave him a 'just a lap of the bay' call. He didnt dissapoint.

By the time I had reached the turnaround at Norton St runners were now quite spaced. I saw that Dave was doing it tough also so I slowed down to try and grab a few people running with him to drag them on a bit.

By the time we reached Hickson Road their were a few people starting to regroup so I ran along trying to rally people for a last effort. I got to the base of the climb to Ob Hill and took a handful of runners up with me to the 40km mark atPallisaides. I then doubled back down the hill to grab a couple more. I got to the 40km mark that second time, took a look at the watch and ran back down and grabbed the last person who I conceivably felt could make sub 3.30 and ran to the top with him.

I finally got into the corkscrew tunnel and started to cramp up - that wasnt in the pacesetters manual! We made it past the cheersquad and the section I had been telling everyone to savour, Macquarie St. Both the cheersquad and Macq St didnt disspapoint!

I was getting a little nervous that I had cut it a bit fine but I neednt have worried, I reached the finishline with about 25 seconds up my sleeve. A last rally to about 3 or 4 who were hanging on along the Cahill and I crossed the line in 3.29.57 seconds officially and 3.29.59 by my watch.

A few hugs and congrats for a few of the finishers and off to the bag/medal/t/shirt/striders tent rogaine to top off the day.

Caught up with 26 to finally get confirmation he had run sub 3. A really special effort, I am very proud of you mate and know only some of the effort you put in. That some was 100% quality fella, richly deserved, earnt the hard way with not a single corner cut. The only thing more inspiring than his effort is his humility. A champion person with a very big ticker.

Also how great was it to have Guz and Uncle Dave charging at the front. Guz looked so composed I thought he might jag it. Also to see Dave running down Jeremy Horne coming towards Hickson Road was a sight to see, he was literally mowing him down, a brilliant effort.

Also to see the different pace groups along the way made me really proud to be associated with the Striders.

Okay - beyond. As I write this little entry I am just getting over my annual pre summer flu which inevitably hits me as soon as I let my guard down after the marathon. I am not one to do things without offering a piece of my heart and soul and to be honest the blogging is turning into a chore - I am not enjoying it at present.

A major part of that is relative to the events of the last month and part of that is the product of the general malaise that follows post big thing whatever that may be. I am going to park the blog for a little while and revisit intermittently when I have something worthwhile to say.

My running was the better for the marathon hitout and I have had some encouraging hitouts since then. But to be honest there is only so many ways to describe a lap of the bay. Also when I decide what is next on the list, time permitting I will be back here describing every boring detail...in boring detail!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Reading your blog is never boring Nick. Congrats on the pacing job - a very selfless act which I'm certain was greatly appreciated by those who achieved their goals. Take care of yourself & we'll be here when you come back.

2P said...

Thanks for taking the time to write your report SF it was a beauty! Congrats on such a great job on the pacing duties.

Looking forward to all the boring detail hopefully in the not too distant future ;-)

TA and the Gnome said...

Nick, I don't think I have ever read your blog for the boring detail. It's the heart and thought processes behind it that I have enjoyed.

Hope to see you out training with Steve over the summer.

Sue

Superflake said...

Great work on the pacing Nic even after the interrupted preparation. Be glad to read more on the blog as it is never boring mate.

Ewen said...

Beautiful job SF. I like reading about laps of the bay (or centennial park, or LCP or...) - nice and quick.

Good luck. Bloglines will let me know when you're back.

2P said...

Hi Nick - haven't heard from you for a while - I know from my mate Miners that you are still circulating and would love to see your handle come up on bloglines.

Are you planning to run CC 1/2 this year?

R2B said...

Look forward to hearing more of your work!

Cheers R2B