Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Catch Up


Summer has come and gone again. I don't think my body was designed to run in the hotter weather and my training certainly backed this theory up. Plenty things keeping me honest though, just not running related.

Sophia has started big school and has taken to it like a pig to mud. Sam has started in the local daycare and has finally got his own stage - he inevitably has followed Sophia and her rather boisterous shadow! He is a very impressive little bloke, bit of a temper occasionally but a very decent little human being, well mannered and respectful but with a hint of cheek to keep you honest!

Gabriella is already 5 months old and makes sure she doesn't miss out on attention. She is already a determined little thing who doesn't take no for an answer too often! But in the same breath, she is very comfortable in her own skin, she is great when we are out and about or the routine gets thrown out of kilter.

Nikki is enjoying her time keeping the home fires burning. She is connecting again with the community she grew up in with the kids and their new schools etc and its great to see her get involved.

As for me I really love Earlwood. I love going shopping on Saturday mornings and getting to know the different shop owners. I love dropping into the local library and the librarian knowing the the style of book I like and recommending something he thinks I would like such as:http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=503373&SearchID=1&SearchRefineID=1526985

We spent Saturday mornings out at Parramatta Pool where my Brother In Law is involved with Learn To Swim. Through the swimming club they have a free program for anyone interested (well $15 to join the club and the kids pool admission (free under 5)) - not a bad deal. The kids attended and I helped out and we all really enjoyed it despite the long haul each week. It was very rewarding to see some of the kids who were literally dragged along in the first place gain so much confidence and enjoyment at the end. It is probably one of the most rewarding experiences I have had.

Running has been a bit lack lustre and to be honest I had to really push myself during the warmer months to keep any semblance of fitness going. That said I have had a couple of months of solidish training in Jan and Feb with a view to launching a plan of attack towards Sydney Marathon in September.

The plan was to pace Canberra 3.15 in April(if accepted), run Macleay River solid in June and then have an all out attempt at Sydney in September. The idea was to ensure a progressive incremental build up with a view to peaking in September without hopefully breaking myself along the way. I could probably go out and train and be ready to run a solid marathon off a 12-14 week program. But I don't want a solid marathon, I want to run as fast as I can possibly muster. But disappointingly the first leg of the plan was chopped off in its early development stage...

OK, rant starts here:

A call came out for pacers for Canberra and I put my hand up again for the 3.15 gig. I was also keen to get to Canberra to celebrate Ray James' 100 marathon, an inspiration to many, myself included. Also, after pacing 3.15 last year, I got a lot out of the run, it was very rewarding and I gained an enormous amount of confidence as to be honest I really didn't know where my fitness was at. As it was, I did it on my ear and it was a real launching pad for the rest of the year for me.

We received an email last week from Canberra Marathon organisers asking that all prospective pacers pacers please pay for their entry.

From the outset I want to say that I appreciate these guys organise a great event and I am loathe to criticise anyone who has the bottle to do so whether it be big or small. I have refrained from commenting on Coolrunning as I don't think that it warrants the witch hunt that invariably happens when someone complains about such things. But on my little postage stamp on the WWW I will vent.

I thought it was pretty piss poor form to be honest and given that you would do your dough if you got injured I sent a note saying for the purpose of pacing - thanks but no thanks, no longer interested.

Then a few days later the collective potential pacers group received an email(read snotagram) from Dave Cundy that sealed it for this race for me. Amongst other things he went to great lengths to feebly infer that it was costing the race a bomb because pacers expected accom, free gear etc etc. I cant speak for anyone else but if any volunteering Strider expected anything more than a free entry I will walk backwards to the start in the nude to apologise.

Amongst many other points that neither strengthened his argument or diminishing credibility he also said that it was "technically illegal" anyway. So why were they promoting the race advertising there presence? What a crock.

If they had said we are struggling just to make ends meet from the race and we would appreciate your help by paying your entry, I probably would have paid without a problem.

But the impression I get is that Canberra is a well run race that happens to be a business also. No problem for mine. However any decent business owner worth there salt would appreciate that customer goodwill and repeat business is vital.

I also appreciate that they have a policy about not refunding or holding entries over. But the lengths they go to on the website, again to feebly explain a position is appalling. But don't take my word for it - you be the judge:http://www.canberramarathon.com.au/index.php?pageid=139


I have heard a few stories now about people having bad experiences, in particular with respect to being injured and holding over an entry or a refund. But to upset volunteers, and that is what a pacer is, is not only bad form from a penny pinching tight wad perspective but also against the spirit of the community we belong to. And that is the main reason I would not be interested in competing in this race ever again.

Rant over - meanwhile back at the ranch.

The aim over the next month or so now is to get a bit of hard racing into the legs, but also to ensure I keep enjoying. I am looking at a couple of hard longer races over the next few months and have been toying with the thought of Red Rock up at Coffs. That is a long shot however as it is that much further away. It will mean taking Mrs Farkin and the whole Farkin family or leaving Nikki with the kids for 2 days. I don't want to do that to her nor do I want be away from them all if possible.

I will try and log in a bit more regularly this year, but it is a bit of a way down the priority list, as always when I can.

Adios.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Great to hear the family is going well Nick. Pity about Canberra,so will we see you doing SMH as a Macleay warmup this year?
My goal is to get back fully fit for Sydney.

Jen said...

Your kids are sooo cute Nick - and growing up soo quickly!