Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Llllllock it in Eddie


I certainly can't complain about 2008. In retrospect we got through a fair bit. Work was challenging without being ridiculous, we had a small extension to Chez Fox and the kids are now 1 year older and cheekier. Nikki finished work in August and has decided to take a career break till 2010. It will be a little tight on the purse strings but to be honest life is far too short to be stuck in the 9 to 5 rut. Enjoy the rewards along the way I reckon and don't get caught up in the mindless existence of working just to flash your bank balance.

Without doubt the highlight was little Gab's arrival. Man you forget so quick how much joy and love radiate from a new Born's eyes. We are just coming to the 3 month hiatus(sp), where things (are supposed to!) fall into place and life is, as they say, Beauwdiful. No arguments here!

Running wise I had the good fortune to post a 10km pb(37.08) as well as a marathon pb(2.54.30), both very much unexpected. I would almost say undeserved but to run a time you need to have done the necessary work and planning. Running is without a doubt one of the most commensurate sport's around. You reap what you sow so to speak.

The big aim for 2009 is to run under 2.50 for the marathon. I am not sure when that will be, I will decide probably at the end of January.

What I did find, in particular at Kempsey, was that I ran as smart as I ever have. I was really proud of that. The flipside though is that you get less willing to push the limits when racing. I think that comfort zone of accepting your percieved limitations can hinder your ability to find your real potential. Maybe it is getting smarter as you get older, but that is a bit boring. Finding the balance between smart and knowing your limits and when to push the go button is the real zen moment. Bit wanky at my level? Without question, but it is important to challenge yourself both mentally and physically to see what lies beyond.

Given that I definitely wont be in sub 2.50 shape come Canberra, I am toying with either pacing again or 6 foot track. Last year the 3.15 pacing duties at Canberra was both enjoyable and beneficial. I gained an enormous amount of confidence from that run, as prior I had real reservations about where I was at. And to be honest making the start line at 6 foot, even in a looksee frame of mind, will require a big increase in my training.

I would also dearly love to give my half pb(81.01)a shake. Given I cant even get close to 85 at present suggests that is out of reach. But I reckon if I can string some training together and stay uninjured who knows?

PBs always seem to come out of that dark orifice and I sincerely hope that I am capable of some jammy results in 2009! Anyway, very boring talking about goals in depth so that will do for now.

Happy new year for 2009, I hope it brings everyone happiness health and peace.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Not wanky at all. Because its true!

All the best for 2009. I'm looking forward to following your journey

Eagle said...

Nick - some nice thoughts aboutthe past and future. Getting a balance in life is important and maybe when that happens we train smarter and can have what we consider as an 'undeserved' result' - as I think we said before you ran it so take it a full face value.

Take care and look forward to seeing you during the year.

Isobel Harris said...

Hey Nick, just found all the old blogs. Good luck with the sub 2:50! I'm a bit further back at the moment.....enjoying getting back into it though!