...but it can only get better!
A long time between posts but unfortunately not much to report on in the running stakes. I finished my last post full of (hopeful) enthusiasm however the truth of the matter is that my PF is no better.
Since I last posted 3 weeks ago I have run a total of 27kms. Each time has seen me get into a run okay however the next day has seen me walking around like a cripple. It has been an incredibly frustrating 2 months and some.
So the decision I have made is to not run until things are back to normal. To be honest the lack of running and probably more to the point missing the camaraderie of joining your mates in a run has left a bit hollow. I am not desperately unhappy, but it is like something is missing. Even on the 3 occasions I have run in the last 3 weeks it has been with an empty heart because deep down each time I hit the road running I knew that perhaps I shouldn't.
I am really missing the social aspect of running to the point where to be honest I haven't visited blogs since I last posted. I would like to think of myself as a fairly supportive and encouraging type however I just haven't had it in my heart of late to even log into my regular blogs and even coolrunning. The feeling I have had is that it would be like beating myself up.
I took a brief look on cr today and all the talk of people cranking up the training for 6foot track(a race I had/have no intention of running this year mind you!) and again it left me feeling very hollow indeed. I do not have a jealous bone in my body but I reckon today is as envious I could ever get.
The brain is constantly thinking about how long it will take to get back where I left off. As each day goes by the reality is that it just gets a little harder. I think this is where the normal runners mind (if there is such a thing!) really lets us down. Each time we reach a new milestone we just make our lives a little more difficult as human nature wants us too eke a little more out ourselves. This is good and bad. Good when you are top of your game, but bad if you are not quite right and keep trying to squeeze that little bit extra out. Hey presto, your kms for 3 months don't even come close to the previous 1.
As far as racing goes my greatest disappointment is my decision now not to run in Canberra. My thoughts after finishing Sydney last year had revolved around running that elusive sub 3 hour marathon. That on top of exorcising(sp) a few demons from Canberra 2005 I was determined to leave no stone unturned in my crack this year. Part of the plan was to be as ready as I ever have been. The reality is that even if I made a miracle recovery tomorrow, this wouldn't allow me to prepare to my satisfaction.
So the goal now is to be patient and to get back to 100%. Phew, I have needed to get that for a week or so.
In the meantime we had a brilliant Christmas and New Year break, I will post some photos and family stuff in the next week - hell, I cant bang on about running at the moment!
Finally and most importantly my most heartfelt thanks for all the support and good wishes. Also my most humble apologies for not replying sooner to emails and comments. Rest assured I will back amongst the blogging and cr community over the next few days.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Hi Nick, great to see you post again, even if it is not good news.
Sorry to hear the PF is getting no better but I think you are taking the right approach. There are many years left to run so continuing to aggravate an injury is just simply going to frustrate the hell out of. (it seems to be going close already!)
Get it sorted out properly and you'll be back bigger and better than ever.
Take it easy mate!
Good to have you back Nick ... we've missed you! Not good about the PF though, its a bugger of a thing.
Its a shame you won't make Canberra. Perhaps Gold Coast??? Its a nice flat course, lots of support, truckloads of CRs etc etc.
Take care.
Sorry to hear the heel is still not right. Hope we can see you back in some good form for the SMH Half. Get it better and come back for a crack at sub 3 at the Gold Coast. The train/bus should be huge.
Hi Nick,
It's good to see you back Nick; you have been missed.
I'm so sorry to hear that your heel isn't getting any better.
I feel the same way about reading CR/blog etc - it's funny how sometimes it can inspire you and at other times it can make you feel envious, jealous and frustrated.
Take care of yourself.
I'm sorry to hear the PF is not getting any better. I know exactly what you mean about missing the running with your mates. I'm really missing SWEAT training at the moment. Reading their blogs makes me feel very frustrated too.
My goal now is to run pain free and if that takes a while then that's the way it's going to be. Have you thought about doing some deep water running. I've got a new physio/hydro therapist who is developing a programme for me and swears that I will be fitter than when I started seeing him by the time he's finished with me. Let me know if you want his details.
Great to hear from you slyfox. I too have been quite a bit blogabsent of late, and am sorry to see that your situation hasn't righted itself quite yet.
Great to know that the time spent with the family over Christmas has been good to you. Perhaps just treat this as an opportunity for some quality family time - a few early morning walks, or trips to the pool with the crew. And know that things will be positive again sooner than you realise :)
Hey Nick it is great to see an offering from you in blogland - as for the 27k - I have a saying "every k you do is one they can never take away from you" - so good on you they are yours forever - even if it did mean limping about the next day.
Don't be a stranger.
Cheers, 2P :-)
Sorry to see that your still in the wars SF. Fingers crossed that it will be all behind you very soon.
Sorry to hear that the PF is not going away Nick. Mate, as others have said, you have made the right decision to pull the pin on Canberra. Still, there is no need for you to become a stranger. We miss you in the community and look forward to seeing you out there sooner rather than later. Perhaps you can do some marshalling at Lane Cove in a few weeks.
I was looking forward to seeing you in Canberra, SF! What a frustrating time you're having. I think Tess's idea about the GC is a good one! I'll probably do the half there this year....all being well after Canberra!
Nick, I havene't read many Bloggs over the last month or so and was suprised by your present position. Hope things are improving but no doubt not fast enough. Will contact direct.
Hmmm injuries suck.I am another person wishing you well!
Cheers R2B
Nick,
Real bummer about the PF, I do hope it comes good sooner rather than later, I can't imagine the frustration you must be feeling.
Might see you at one of the SS10km as Horrie suggests?
All the best mate.
Post a Comment