Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The benefit of time

I have now rested the heel for 3 weeks. No running whatsoever. I stretched - okay not every day but most. I iced, I massaged, hell I even swam! I admit to packing running gear into my bag for work and planning to wake up in the morning to run. But for the first time ever I said no each time when I knew I wasnt right.

I ventured back into the archives today to revisit some old posts and I was aware I banged on about my heel but just lost track of how often and for how long.

So finally I got up from my desk yeterday, my heel felt as good as it has in a long time and I hit my new grass loop around Gore Hill Oval and RNS Hospital. No initial pain, a good stretch and warm up and then into 30 minutes of steady paced running. It was hard work and I struggled about 10 minutes into the run - but from a lack of running.

I managed to get through okay and despite some soreness yesterday I am feeling okay today with no significant pain at all. So for the time being I will ease back into it with 1 day on 1 day off. Hell I will probably swim on my day off!

So not out of the woods but a few small steps hopefully in the right direction. It is a significant couple of weeks as I will make a decision then about whether I will be running in Canberra or not. I am not feeling too confident however, but never say never.

If I am back to 100 percent by the start of the new year and running 5 days a week, I know I can go from there. Anything less will just be too much catch up. Its not the end of the world if the case, it just means my focus will go towards something further down the calendar, possibly Brisbane or even Kempsey depending on where I am at.

I know that 3 weeks off my feet has made me appreciate just how important my running is to me. I often retrospectively look at different phases of my life, (not just in running) and hopefully glean some small lesson that may assist in making me a better more rounded person. Mother constantly reminds me to count my blessings, but it is one I need reminding about.

I knew through the last few weeks that to be honest I needed a spell from the running as my thought processes surrounding decisions about my well being were being clouded by an obsessive streak to get out and run.

Get out and run for no great benefit apart from that unquenched desire to run a little faster, even despite the body saying no. So some time out has allowed some perspective.

Dont get me wrong, I will be out to run faster in 2006 than in 2005. However I am aiming to be a little more circumspect, in particular with the balls out stuff. Lets see how the competitive bastard in me lives with that in 6 months time! TBC.

Anyrate it is nice to be back (fingers crossed). Lets see what the next few weeks have in store.

12 comments:

speedygeoff said...

At least swimming is a pleasant option at this time of year.

I'd rather be running though!!!

Let's hope 2006 is a good year for you for running pbs rather than swimming pbs.

Jen said...

My time off running has had the same effect. I really miss it and I feel even more determined to get back on the road, but not at the risk of causing further problems or delaying recovery.

I'm really pleased to hear that you are back on the road. Keep up those stretches!

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the coming year. I'm looking forward to catching up with you in 2006 for our long awaited chat. Thank you so much for all your encouragement, advice and support throughout the year. It means a great deal to me and always seems to come at the time I need it most. Thank you!

Lulu said...

I'm really glad to see your time off has benefited you SF. I know what you mean about missing your running as I've only had a few days off and am already thinking about trying a run but I know I need a few weeks off really!

I hope you and your girls have a really lovely Christmas together and I look forward to catching up with you next year.

lulu

2P said...

This is fantastic news Nick. I'm really happy for you that you managed to run pain free.

With only 3 weeks off I think you may be pleasantly surprised at how little you have lost once you get back into it proper.

I'm looking forward to following your Canberra quest.

miners said...

Nothing makes you appreciate running more than the inability to do so. I'd really glad to hear that santa's been kind to your heel in the last few days of 2005. All the best for a full recovery and a safe (and injury-free) 2006 mate!

Tesso said...

Great news Nick! It seems like ages since you blogged, I was wondering how you were going.

Hope you make it to the start line in Canberra, its shaping up to be such a fun weekend with so many CRs coming along.

TA and the Gnome said...

Welcome back to the new, more circumspect Nick! :-) Somehow, I think that you'll bring the same strength & determination that you use in races to your quest to run smarter. Wizard Gnome forsees a brighter new year :-)

sfG

Tesso said...

Here's wishing you and the fam have a great Chrissy Nick.

Hopefully catch up with you in 2006!

Horrie said...

Small steps Nick. You will be back running fast again in no time. Just have to take your time and be patient.

Superflake said...

The lost blogger. Hope your christmas has been great with the three girls and you have a good new years. Hope to see you at SMC Nick. Thanks for all your support this year. Cheers.

R2B said...

All the best for 2006.
Cheers R2B!

Jen said...

Happy New Year Nick!

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas & New Year - I'm sure rabbit loved it!

How is the heel going? I hope that it has improved and that you are on the road to your goals in 2006

J