Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Catch Up

Apologies for such a long break in service but we had a few hurdles at Fox Central that needed clearing.

On the 23rd of August Nikki rang me after a frustrating day at work where she was having problems with her mouse. She was complaining also of a sore wrist and we assumed that the dodgy mouse and wrist were related.

She picked the kids up as usual that afternoon but was in a pretty bad way. She was diagnosed with RSI the next day by our GP and given antiflammatories for the swelling that had come up overnight. Each day following saw her in even more pain and the swelling was getting worse. At this stage to be honest I was thinking surely it couldnt be that bad or painful. But after 3 trips to emergency and a week after a rheumatalogist(yes the specialist that your Nanna goes to) finally realised that her problem wasnt muscular but an infection in her hand.

She was admitted to RPA and had surgery that day to drain the fluid that had built up. Worse still the infection was a strep(sp) infection which if not treated in time can see limbs being lost or even fatal. The poor bugger had wandered around for a week with a serious infection. The whole time I was thinking surely it cant be that bad. Didnt I feel like a prize ar#@hole.

For just over 2 weeks she was in hospital. Meantime life at home turned upside down as I juggled kids work and visiting Mother each day, it was full on.

Naturally blogging(let alone running) was put on hold while Mother got in the clear.

Nikki came home last thursday, you have no idea how happy we all were to have her home again. She is still unable to use her hand as it still painful but hopefully in a month or so she will be in the clear.

Meantime marathon aspirations took a backseat, more on that and back to running tommorow...

7 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

Please give Nikki our best wishes - a crook wrist and little kids is *not* a good combination.

Bruce

Jen said...

I'm so pleased to hear that Nikki is home. I hope she is back to 100% very soon.

Jen

Superflake said...

Glad to hear Nikki is ok and will be back to full strength soon. Lucky Mr Mom knew what he was doing to help out at home.

Lulu said...

Yikes, that sounds nasty. Good to hear she is back at home and recovering well.

2P said...

Good to see you back SF - I hope the recovery goes well for Nikki.

Horrie said...

That must have been a huge shock for you guys to deal with. I'm glad Nikki is okay. Also glad to see you running the marathon distance again. Hope to catch up with you at SMC.

Unknown said...

Nice to see you this morning Fox. I checked your blog today for the first time in ages (I bin busy really, really busy sorry!) and saw this post. How frightening! I hope Nikki's wrist is better and that you running this morning is a sign all has returned to normal.