Want to have a solid week without playing catch up - too close to race day now. Also aim this week is to have a quality week, not big on kms but culminating in a good performance out at Smiffo on sunday. The plan is to run as close to 100mins as possible without smashing myself - we will see se how we go.
Mon 21/5 - Recovery 9.5kms. Earlwood Oval is conveniently located at the end of our street - 500 metretes there, build into 20 solid laps on the grass, 500 metres home. Kostas is your uncle.
Tue 22/5 - 11.5kms Tempo. Last visit to Enmore to drop off our keys. Ran from Earlwood to Enmore and return 47 minutes. No tears but a fair amount of reminiscing as I stared at the empty shell that housed our lives.
Wed 23/5 - 11kms Hilly tempo 46 minutes. Ran around Earlwood Tempe Marrickville and Dulwich Hill. Excellent run, felt really solid.
Thu 24/5 - 8 * 870 metres with 75-90 seconds slow jog recovery. Really good quality, pushed as hard as I could, almost pukeworthy. Reps were between 2.59 and 2.54, majority at 2.57. Absolutely flogged afterwards. 10kms all up.
Fri 25/5 - 10.5kms 2 Uni Loops 42 minutes. Perfect running weather at lunch, felt fantastic today and eased into a really solid pace.
Sat 26/5 - 12kms 53 minutes Took an easy run down to the river and ran over to tempe and back with 15 30/30s in the middle. I am going to take a camera with me next easy run down there as the run along the river is quite spectacular, I am really lucky to have this spot on the doorstep now.
Sun 27/5 Smiffo 25km race with 2km warm up and 2 km warm down - 98.15. Absolutely stoked with my run, the aim was to sit on 4 minute pace as long as I could. As it was I managed to run a little faster. Headed out with Jerry and Steve. Jerry & 26 were both backing up from big runs the previous week but set a good solid but managable pace. We went through 2.5kms in 10 minutes flat and Jerry lifted it a notch to about 3.50 pace, but it still felt okay. A group of 5 pretty much ran together to 12.5kms. I didnt do anything spectacular on the hill but both Steve and Jerry with nothing to prove today and big half pbs still in there legs seemed to ease back.
I was expecting a fairly lonely last lap however I heard footsteps behind and was joined by Michael K(2B) and Wriggler. Also tagging on was Paul (who finished second with a bloody great run) and a young triathlete Tim - both very nice blokes. Guy who was cruising today backed off and Paul put a space into us fairly easily.
I ran with Tim and Michael probably to the 17.5km mark when Tim started easing away. I wasnt too bothered chasing. I reminded myself to run as I set out - solid but nothing stupid. If I busted a boiler I may have held on but I knew that wasnt the intention today. Be solid, but nothing silly was going on between the lugs.
As it was I ran a 4 minute pb , which i was absolutely thrilled with. Even more pleasing and great for the confidence was passing the 2nd lap turn off thinking I could go around again fairly close to this pace. The flip side though is that in running you can have a fairly swift trip from the penthouse to the outhouse!
Anyway that is my last hard long run, everything else now will be very much with a level of cotton wool involved!
Weekly kms: 94
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Nick, just catching up on your blog, all the best for the Macleay marathon mate! Look forward to the report.
That was a good confidence boosting run Nick. Seems like you maintained sub 4 minute pace pretty comfortably. Your preparation has come together well and you have put yourself in the best possible position to run sub 3 at Kempsey. Good luck!
Post a Comment