Quite a long time between posts. Unfortunately it is due to a problem with my knee mentioned in my last post.
To cut a very boring long story short, I had several failed comebacks with the last straw being a very painful night with my knee after my last comeback effort in mid July.
I went to my GP, who referred me to an Orthopaedic Surgeon. The bad news is that I couldnt get in until today, so I havent run a step in over 5 weeks. The good news is that my specialist is probably the best in the business, Merv Cross, a straight talking no nonsense sort of bloke, but definitely at the cutting edge of his field.
So the verdict is that it is highly likely that have a meniscal tear in my Medial Compartment of my right knee. It is not a full blown my knee is f&%ked for good job, thankfully it should not stop my running.
I have an MRI next week with the likelyhood of an arthroscopy based on the findings.
So no Sydney Marathon this year is likely, I am pretty upset about this, as by hook or by crook I would have run hobbled limped but not at the expense of my long term running health. There are a thousand things going on in my head that I want to get down but I am just going to leave it at that for the time.
It is not the end of the world, it just means no running pretty much or the rest of the year. I have been hitting the pool 4 times a week but I cant keep that up for much longer, it is very boring. I have put on a bit of beef, but the wife is happy about that! I feel like I need to lose about 7 kegs!
Anyrate, I'm not heading for the gap or anything but I am going to miss my running. Just going to look at one step at a time at present, lets see what the MRI shows and we can take it from there.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
geez mate - I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't get a chance to catch up with you on the C2S weekend, so I didn't realise how serious the knee actually was.
best of luck with the MRI results
Hope it turns out not to need an arthroscope. I had a small tear about 20 years ago on my Knee. Had to keep it straight for 3 days after, but I was back out running within 2 weeks. It was inside right knee cartilage.
So sorry to hear about your knee but you are right - a bit of time off now & proper treatment will certainly be worth it in the long term
Take care of yourself Nick.
I know you've got the patience and persistance to come out of the other side of this and pick up where you left off.
Looking forward to seeing you loping around the bay again soon Nick.
JD
Sorry to hear about the knee Nick. You have shown before that you have the ability to bounce back and put the performances on the board. I am sure you will do it again once you have recovered.
Post a Comment