Thursday, October 04, 2007

2/11/07 - 28 days and counting





I am all snipped up! The arthroscopy has happened and all went well. 2/11 is the scheduled return date. 2 weeks post op and I am pretty much pain free, there is just a limitation of the range of movement, which I suspect is more psychological than anything else. I figure now is the time to be cautious.

If you require this type of surgery, I can honestly say that it has provided minimal inconvenience. Apart from a bit of stiffness for a few days, the pain was next to zero and I was able to drive the following day. Little things will give you the Urtha Kitts - like not being able to cross your legs or putting on a sock easily but really it has been a lot easier than I imagined.

After 6 days I was allowed back in the pool, which was hard work, without being able to kick properly. That was a week ago and my comfort level grows each day. Generally I swim 1-2kms and do kickboard .5-1km for the knee. I am trying to do this 5 days a
week.

I am definitely no Thorpie but have made some improvement with my swimming. I wish that equated to an increase in my motivation levels to but to be blunt, its just a means to the end at present. I am literally dragging myself there.

The big goal between now and the date above is to get my 1km time under 17 minutes. Pre op I got down to 17.08, but I am struggling to keep it under 18 minutes since. Like I said, Thorpie I aint but little challenges help to keep me showing up.

I am so determined to come back better for the experience next year. I am not one to carry on about how I am going to do this or run that time & havent really sat down and thought these particular distances/racse are on the radar. But the big one for next year is Sydney Marathon.

I cant tell you how dissapointing it was to miss that race this year. For one reason or another, it has been my monkey, I am planning to spank it for 7 years worth of heartache! This analogy possibly sums me up to a tee!!!

Anyrate, no point getting ahead of myself, I am looking forward to 4 weeks tmrw as it will see the beginning of the next chapter. Lets hope for good reading.

6 comments:

PortRunr said...

Glad to hear the op went well. I had one done more than 10 years ago and the main thing I remember are the physio sessions afterwards. He pushed well past what I thought was reasonable pain, but it seemed to work and I soon had full range of motion back.
No doubt the swimming will help and it'll all be a distant memory in no time.

Jen said...

I'm sure it will be fantastic reading Nick!

I'm glad to hear that your swimming continues to improve but I understand - it just doesn't provide the same satisfaction as a good run.

Take care of yourself - hope the recovery continues to go well.

Eagle said...

Nick,
Good to read that you are on the mend - on the first read I thought you were hoping to get your 1k run under 17 minutes !!! but that swiming. Take it easy make a full recoverythen ease back into it and grab some more sub 3's in 2008. I look forward to some runs with you before you get too quick for me once again.

Eagle said...

Have you been game enough to have a mini run today!!!! Fingers crossed for you Nick.

R2B said...

good for you!

Spud said...

Nick, I haven't dropped by here for a while mate, sorry I didn't realise you were doing it so tough. Glad to hear the knee is on the mend though. It was good to see you at SMC and thanks once again for the swim pass, I'll pop by there today for a swim.

Catch you out there again soonish