Thursday, June 12, 2008

Macleay River Marathon 2008



I haven't blogged for a long time, a bit out of apathy but mainly out of losing interest in recording running in this type of format. Whilst it serves a purpose, it is very time consuming and to be honest running takes enough of that. I started using map my run to track my kms when my training ramped up again back in late Jan. I find it more concise and a great little tool which is a lot swifter than blogging. I know when I get on here I tend to 'wax' a little bit and to be honest there is a very finite limit to describing a training run. Aka it is bloody boring!

But I also think it important to record some stuff like an important race so the blog will live on in a very sporadic manner with posts appearing randomly. So in the off chance you still have a bloglink and it hasn't ended up in a junk filter that your friendly IT nerds have created unbeknown to yourself, you may see a few posts flying into this little cyberspace from time to time.

I could start by perhaps dedicating this blog to a quiet little event on the mid north coast also - it would seem that my last 6 or so posts were dedicated to it solely. There is probably an element of truth in that but doesn't take into account a couple of stitches in time, one for injury and another for apathy!

To briefly summarise the last 6 months, it has felt like I have been dissatisfied at every turn with my progress. I couldn't help but peer back at the same time last year and compare where I was then. Fox 2008 was constantly a distant second to Fox 2007. Fox 2007 was really rubbing his nose in it too!

But in my usual fashion I kept chipping away, with small progressive improvements and lo and behold in May, despite a persistent headcold I had an unexpected result in the form of a 10km pb. I ran the striders star the next day with the start of the flu and bang, no running for a week. Right when my kms should have been peaking I was watching the days tick away. Fox 2007 was constantly pointing out that not only was he getting up to 120kms a week at this point last year but he was also braining them!

Anyrate this is getting a little boring now, but suffice to say that after initially trying to do too much after coming back from the flu, I made the most of the last 3 weeks or so.

I can genuinely say that after 2007, the little sleepy hollow of South West Rocks will
forever hold a place in my heart. So after last year there was absolutely no chance that I would not run again in 2008. I just had to work out in what capacity. Despite the above moaning I honestly believed that I could get under 3 hours again. I also felt with the benefit of experience, favourable conditions, a solid race plan and a good slice of ticker that a 2.55 time was possible with all above planets aligning.

So with the family packed we made the trip up the coast. We settled into our accommodation for the night and I felt pretty relaxed about the following day, it was just a matter of getting out there and running to the script, no adlibbing, stick to your lines.

The plan of attack was to be conservative and to back my endurance in the second half of the race. Even splits, not rocket science, but the key was knowing what I was capable of hanging on to. The other significant factor was not pushing too hard into the wind, without letting the clock go too much. Last year running too hard early into the wind probably cost me 2 minutes, I was determined not to make the same mistake - I didn't feel I would have that luxury this year.

So the plan was to get to half way in no worse than 87 minutes with a small amount of fat if things went south in the second half.

In the morning I was more than a little nervous, however once I started my warm up I felt as fresh as I ever have. My spirits soared and I had to keep a lid on my nervous energy, I knew that it would just be a waste. I caught up briefly with Ray and Brendan and before too long we were in the starting spot ready to go.

In typical country race fashion the start was pretty relaxed. We headed out of the national park and I was chatting to Brendan through 1km and on our way. Richard Sewell pulled up with us at around 1.5kms and looked very determined. This was Brendan's queue to get serious and within 500 metres they had put a fair gap into me that would only get greater with each step they took!

The run then followed a bike path to 5kms and the township of South West Rocks. I reached the 5km point in 19.51, slightly faster than I had planned but reasonably comfortably as the first section is mainly downhill and flat. At around 6kms a Port runner Pete Murray sidled beside and after a brief chat quite quickly went past me. At this stage I was a little concerned as I was doing it tougher than I had planned. Perhaps it was the fact someone had run past me so easily but I had the start of a fairly rough patch. Again I reminded myself it was early days and to run at my pace, don't worry about anyone else. However the sight of Pete in the distance was keeping my pace honest.

10kms came up and the split for that 5kms was 20.44 and probably my worst 5kms for the day. I tried to focus on nice even km splits and also to relax a bit! Being all stiff and chasing the clock too hard would not help running into the breeze, which as per last year, just with a little less gusto, had picked up when we were running south alongside the open expanses of the river from Gladstone. I was still doing it tough at 15kms with a 20.39 split, but started working my way into my rhythm now. The breeze seemed to ease a bit in the next 5kms and my km splits started to pick up a little with no apparent pick up in effort. A 20.35 split was really encouraging and it appeared that the gap was getting no worse to 3rd who at this point had around 300 metres into me.

Halfway was reached in 86.24, I was really pleased that I had some fat in the bank now and was now feeling great. It was also the point where runners pass each other as they approach or leave the turnaround - it is great to have a little encouragement and give a little also. Brendan and Richard came past and looked really strong but were in the midst of a ding dong battle for the front. Pete was still around 300 metres in front of me and also looked comfortable.

I really got into the zone between 20 and 30kms. Between 20 and 25kms I ran 20.35 and it was with a little caution of not pushing too hard too soon. I felt like I could have run much faster but knew that if I did there would a price to pay later. But my confidence was sky high.

Pete Murray started to come back to me little by little at around 25kms. I managed to slowly eat into the space and again my confidence soared. It was only after the race I discovered he had rolled his ankle and was struggling significantly with it. Between 25 and 30kms I ran a 20.27 and felt brilliant.

My head started doing sums based on a million scenarios, mainly based on running incredibly fast for the remainder of the race! I really had to control myself to not push and thank god I didn't because things were going to get tough again. I have no doubt that a little self control along the way and in particular between 25 and 30kms was difference between running under 2.55 and just hanging on for the last quarter of the race.

At around 33kms I realised I had to work out how much my legs had left. I calculated that I could break 2.55 if I could hold 4.15 pace. However twinges of cramp were starting to set in as I started to hit the rolling hills back into SW Rocks. With each step I took I became aware that to really stride out would cause a lock up and that would have been game set and match for under 3 hours, let alone 2.55.

I had planned on 1 gu for the race plus sports drink and water at each drink stop which were every 5kms. I took the gu and water at 22kms however at 27kms and 32kms they had run out of sports drink and so it was water only at these drink stations. I reached my 2nd last 5km split at 35kms with 21.13. I was most pleased with my slowest split thus far as it was only achieved because of controlled pacing early on. Again my confidence soared but keeping everything in check was the ever present and increasing discomfort of cramping.

To be perfectly honest I don't know how I managed to avoid locking up over the last 5kms. When I reached the 37km drink station again no sports drink. I did not want to chance a gu as I wouldn't have been able to stomach I don't think. But I refused to panic, I just concentrated on being smart with what I had left. The kms felt like they were taking an eternity and my legs started to spasm.I felt like each step would lead to a total lock up. I didn't dare stop, I physically would not have been able to start running again.

But amongst the chaos happening south of my navel I felt really calm and controlled upstairs. There was a drink stop stationed between 39 and 40kms and hallelujah - praise be the big guy, sports drink! I thought it was probably too little too late, but took it anyway. I ran past 40kms - my last mini target in 21.27 and 2.45.30 showing on my watch.

Okay even my oxygen starved brain could calculate 9.30 to run 2.2km to crack 2.55. Which equates to a km pace of.....ah bloody nora just don't cramp up mate! The climb between 40 and 41kms is a constant climb with a solid 400 metre hill before it flattens out and a slight downhill to the finish. The nextt aim was getting to the top of the hill in one piece.

Once at the top I started thinking for the first time about winding home. Still in the back of mind were the pangs that would emanate when attempting to wind up. It was only upon reaching 42kms with 2.53 showing on my watch and I knew that I would run under 2.55.

I have had few sweeter moments than that last 200 metres in the drizzle to the finish. I was immensely relieved that I had managed to avoid serious cramping, in particular in that last 6 or 7kms. I saw my beautiful famiy to my left, then the finish line and I couldn't contain myself any longer, with arms raised and a guttural "yess!!!" I finally crossed the line in 2hrs54.30 for a 1.20 pb.

I am incredibly proud about how I ran the race. I was not nearly as fit as I was last year - not even close. So I knew I had to run well between the ears. My pacing was spot on - on the day I simply could not have a run that race a second faster. I certainly know that if I hadn't run to plan early on things could have gone deep south.

At the same time I felt like I ran as close to the edge as my body would allow and that I think is a really defining moment as a runner, knowing exactly how far we can push without breaking ourselves. Upon finishing my legs completely seized up - I had the odd satisfaction of knowing I didn't leave an ounce out there.

As I write this a week later I haven't run a step since. In the lead up my motivation levels were at an all time low. In particular I find the mid week winter drudgery of the 2nd long run really sapped my motivation levels. I have decided to take a little time out from hard training for a month or so to regain my passion again. But I can say that having a result is always a great motivator, so we will see how we are travelling in a couple of weeks.

I am very keen to aim up at 2.50 at some point, but for now I am happy to enjoy basking in the satisfaction of achieving beyond expectation and the associated congratulatory VBs...I am but a simple man!


2 comments:

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the PB Nick. A great story about how you felt on the day and how you managed to get through it.

Horrie said...

Congratulations Nick on a very well controlled race. It just proves how much mental application is required when running. Enjoy the recovery.