Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pulling the Pin

I am dissapointed but in the big scheme of things it was a no brainer. Bruce (sfg) said it well, what would I say to others, so decided to follow my own advice for a change.

The fire that burns deep in my belly is a big run at Canberra in April. The sum of last weekends events had a major impact. First on sat I spoke to Will who was just coming back from the same injury after 12 months. He was describing his experience to me and it was exactly what I was doing, just pushing it a little too far and bang, he was out ofr a year. Then on Sunday in the guts of a torrential storm I found myself 2kms from home and at my injury at its worse as a direct result of biting too much off.

So I decided it was time to take stock and work out what was truelly important. In the big scheme this Sunday wasnt worth the risk.

Part of my mindset is to give myself every opportunity, no excuses. So 4 and a 1/2 months out was not the time to rob myself of several months by pushing it too far. I like to remind myself of what I dont want to happen in 2006 and these pictures from 2005 capture it perfectly. I call them simply before and after:

9 comments:

2P said...

Good decision foxy - you will come back stronger and faster than ever :-)

Tesso said...

Smart move Nick.

Hope you manage to get out and cheer the others on at the CC. Its just as much fun though way more exhausting!

Superflake said...

SF looking forward to running with you at Canberra and I'm sure 26 miles is feeling the same. Keep off the heel and fix it before doing the canberra training. SF(me) will be back soon I promise.

Jen said...

I was really sorry to hear that you had to pull out Foxy but I'm glad that you did. Canberra 06 is much more important to you than this little race. It wasn't worth risking further injury, and more time off the road, for this race. Take care of yourself and you will be flying once more very soon :-)

Lulu said...

I'm sure you'll find you've made the right decision. There's plenty of other halfs you can run and Canberra sounds like it is much more important to you. I hope the injury thanks you by getting better pronto!

26miles said...

Nick, have a rest for a couple of weeks. You've had a great year with p.b's in a few events - nothing more to prove.
26's tips for active recovery from P.F -
1. Stretch before you get out of bed in the morning, tracing out the letters of the alphabet with each foot.
2. Stretch the calves as much as possible during the day.
3. If it is sore during the day, freeze a a bottle of water and roll back and forth over the arch.
4. go for an easy run, every 2nd day on a grass oval in the evening only, when the P.F is fully warm, no more than 20 minutes.

cheers, big ears.

CJ said...

Been there, done that. You've made the right decision SF. Look forward to seeing you in Canberra next year.

miners said...

Certainly the right decision mate - and who could pass up a chance to become part of the folklore that is the CR cheersquad?

Horrie said...

Good to see you made the right decision Nick.

You will be back firing on all cylinders in the new year getting ready for your Canberra assault.