Sunday, November 27, 2005

Like sands throught the hourglass

What is up with me at present? The plan this morning was the run the 25km option of the star, however ego and in an effort to prove something to myself I attempted the whole schebang. And as the crew doing the shorter option veered from the pack, leaving 6 hardy souls I commented along the lines of 'see you later ladies'! Testosterone and common sense are not on the same page however and I was to pay for my smarty remark later in the morning.

Todays star was the Barrenjoey Bash. As an inner westie, we dont often get to this neck of the woods as it too torturous to get to and from. So it was one star that I really wanted to do, as it takes in some of Sydneys most prime real estate with magnificent views on both the ocean and inlet sides of the peninsular. It also means killer hills!

I arrived at Mona Vale just in time for the 6.20am group, thankfully Horrie waited up for me as we chased the pack down. He filled me in on his trip to the 6ft track the previous day. Nice to have a chat to Glen. I hate leaving runners behind but he sent me on my way after he did a great job in getting back onto the group.

My foot was crook from the start today complaining as soon as we got going. However at the slower pace it soon warmed up and didnt complain too much. The group reduced to 6 as the long run pack continued to head north to Palm Beach.

The rain had been pretty persistant to then but once we got to Palm Beach it absolutely chucked down.

On our return leg we then hit some major hills. We headed left into a street that was just a killer. I ran the hills really well, matching it with some bloody strong runners, Sue, Shaun, Adrian, Barry. However once we started heading back down hill I was in trouble.

Immediately my foot absolutely killed and I fell off the pack on every downhill. This was incrediblt frustrating as this is where you normally can recover. As we got back onto Pittwater Road after a very steep descent , I was in enough pain to contemplate pulling the pin and catching a cab back to the start. But I soldiered on trying to find the softest surfaces to run on. Eventually we found some respite as we headed onto a grassy reserve for several kms.

But once out on the road again I was in agony. We climbed out of Avalon to Newport and again I was up at the front with Sue and Shaun. This was an absolute belter of a hill. If I get anything from today it was that my hill running has not slipped.

However as we headed back down to Newport on a windy muddy path my foot complained even more. I got onto the road and my hobble eventually turned into a walk as the group ran away from me.

I made it to the last hill out of Newport but at this point I was barely capable of a hobble. This was incredibly frustrating as the rest of the body was willing and able. Redback caught me and slowed to run with me for around 500 metres but I sent him on his way also as the pain intensified.

So about 2kms from home in the wet and wind I walked a very lonely walk to the finish resigned to not running until I was 100%. I look forward to running this star in brighter weather and without bloody pf!

At the moment the Central Coast is looking bleak, however I will reserve my decision until as late as possible. We have orgabised to go up and visit my family and some old mates and to do some kid free christmas shopping so we will be heading up regardless.

But to be honest todays run has left me a bit gutted.

7 comments:

Tesso said...

:-(

Sounds like you put your foot to a pretty tough test yesterday.

Fingers crossed a week of rest and the obligatory PF massages, and icing, and exercises etc etc will do you the world of good.

If not I'm sure Jen has a spare set of pom poms.

2P said...

Rest up and get that foot better foxy.

See you on the start line :-)

Lulu said...

Sorry to hear that your injury has become so painful. Very frustrating PF, not to mention painful. Hope a week of looking after it make the difference. Take care and have fun up the coast whatever you decide to do.

TA and the Gnome said...

How annoying for you. Just make the best decision about Sunday and enjoy the day one way or the other

Horrie said...

It was nice to have a chat with you on Sunday Nick. Thanks for offering to stay back with me. Sorry to hear about how painful your run was. Mate, rest up and recover. You have got nothing to prove by smashing yourself. It will all still be there when you are 100% fit.

TA and the Gnome said...

Nick. Stop! What would you tell anyone else who was in your position? Take a break, lose a bit of base while your foot recovers, run yourself back into form and you can be blowing everyone away again in a few months. Keep going how you are and you'll still be hobbling then.

Grab those pom-poms and see you Sunday :-)

sfG

Spud said...

It's easy to tell someone to rest up and recover, but I know how hard that is to do. It's all good advice however Nick.
Take it easy mate.