Before I get going, when I write my daily entries I do so in a style that suggests I am writing it for someone else, which I am not, its for me. I am not sure whether this is the right way to approach it. I have chosen to set up a blog, so I am not bothered whether people read it or not and to be honest I am quietly chuffed to think people would. But I am uncomfortable at the same time with that premise, as I find it a bit egocentric.
I am going to revisit my original posts in a month or so to see how they stand the test of time. If I am the slightest bit queasy when revisiting I will consider a change and maybe do away with the 'fluff' (stuff like this). My logic right now is that so many things outside running influence how I am travelling at any point, so I think it is worthwhile blogging. Anyway...
I had intended running twice today, which I try to do once each week, however I couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning. I am interstate tmrw so no running at all but that is life. I am finding it increasingly difficult to remain focussed knowing I wont be racing properly again for several months.
I promised myself that in the forced hiatus(sp) I would endeavour to keep up my long run and my fortnightly intervals, making a return to previous levels that much easier. But the sharp stuff really loses its edge when you are missing that race focus. Today's 6 * 1km repeats were pretty ordinary comparatively.
I never compare any other training times with such scrutiny as I do for 1km repeats. They are such a benchmark to current fitness levels. I do 1km intervals once a fortnight, in an effort to keep them fresh. On the other week I will do a solid tempo run or a 30/30 hitout. I always do my intervals thursday lunch each fortnight unless there is a race that weekend where I will do them in that week also.
today's efforts were : 3.26, 3.30, 3.32, 3.33, 3.36 & 3.37 with 90 second walking/slow jog recovery. The last 2 in particular were shite and felt it. Some days you get to that point where you are going hard but you are able to pull something extra out to finish strongly or to run at a higher level of discomfort. I just didn't have that today.
2 weeks ago I averaged these 5 seconds faster per rep with the same recovery. Today was just an off day and we are all going to have those. While I wish I had run 6 at 3.25, it would almost be useless as I wont be taking those efforts to the start line anyway. But I really rate 1km intervals as a quality session so I really try and get the best out of myself when I do it.
It is also nice to get that out of the road for another fortnight. Adios.
Thursday, June 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Fox, keep writing. When you read it back in years to come, there'll be stuff that you skip over, but there'll be gems that you'd forgotten all about.
sfG
Yes, plu is on the ball with that one! That's why all the CR blogs are fascinating. Even the simplest ones give you an insight into the personality of the runner. Keep writing for yourself SF and we'll keep reading.
I also know exactly what you mean, SF. I talk to my blog; I also whinge, complain, flatter myself & get angry with myself; but to be honest, in the back of my mind hiding somewhere is the thought : someone might read this! However, I don't see it as pressure or a constraint; just makes me more careful with spelling, punctuation, the truth & libel laws!
In my limited experience of reading these things few blogs appear to be for others at least not initially. But when I set mine up the objective was totally different - it was for others, the members of my training group, so I am an exception ("The expection that proves the rule", as flashduck recently observed).
The blog format is adaptable to a variety of purposes. I guess I would say now (a) be clear about the purpose of your blog, and (b) don't be afraid to change your mind as it develops!
Thanks too for your positive comments on my blog. Appreciated.
In my limited experience of reading these things few blogs appear to be for others at least not initially. But when I set mine up the objective was totally different - it was for others, the members of my training group, so I am an exception ("The expection that proves the rule", as flashduck recently observed).
The blog format is adaptable to a variety of purposes. I guess I would say now (a) be clear about the purpose of your blog, and (b) don't be afraid to change your mind as it develops!
Thanks too for your positive comments on my blog. Appreciated.
Keep blogging Silver Fox.
It certainly doesn't come across as egocentric and helps to encourage the rest of us . . . the highs and the lows which we all experience, but often feel as though we are on our own.
Plu and the others have said it already.
Cheers
Post a Comment