Friday, June 17, 2005

What a dq!

Firstly can I just say to all those people who took the time to respond to my first blog yesterday how much I appreciated your comments. Clearly there is a lot of love going down in Blogsville!
Mother officially started maternity leave again today. She didnt work fridays, so it kind of felt normal anyway. But the bottom line is back to 1 income again. She always worries about coin, but I am pretty ambivilant about it. We have both worked and saved to put ourselves in a position so she can stay at home. So now she should enjoy the prospect of a new challenge and a couple of weeks off first.

I woke this morning to feel 100% better than yesterday. I like to think I am in tune with how my body feels but I admit I had this one blown out of proportion. When it happened on wednesday morning I honestly felt that I would not be running for at least a week. But today I felt comfortable enough to know that I could give it a burl albeit very cautiously, as I have never had an injury of this nature before.
I work in St Leonards and I have many different runs that I love over here, if only lunch was 2 hours so I could enjoy properly! My absolute favourite is one I call the Greenwich Pier run. It is basically straight down Greenwich Road from the Pacific Highway and around Greenwich Point from Shell Park. I go past the harbour pool and down past the sailing club and back up a trail to some sandstone steps to a lookout that has sweeping views of the harbour. I effectively loop back the same way I came. I absolutely love this run and never get sick of it. It is a great recovery run or can be a brilliant ballsout run if I need something short and sharp as the 2km climb back to the highway is as tough as you want to make it.
Today it was about getting a feel of how my groin was. I knew within 200 metres that running at a moderate pace was no problem, but I had no chance of running at race pace. I could feel the injury when I would normally push up a hill and instinctively you do these things, but not today.
So I will back off the faster stuff for the time but will probably run again tmrw and sunday, still with caution. It is also a part of the body that I dont normally stretch, however I sure as hell will now. I do feel a little dopey sooking over something that wasn't as bad as I had thought, however I am glad I am sensible enought to know when to err on the side of caution.
Finally it has been most difficult writing about 'a groin strain' without regressing back to year 8! Gotta go, I have been called in to Mr Pluss's office!

3 comments:

Superflake said...

SF, Excellent news that the injury is not as bad as first thought.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! The Greenwich run sounds nice and it looks like your injury will heal up nicely soon enough.

miners said...

Really glad to know the injury is looking as positive as an injury can look. Hope all goes well with the recovery (perhaps it was all the good lovin' blog vibes?)