Monday, June 27, 2005

Return to the scene of the crime

I normally have a recovery run on a Monday, however given yesterdays easier workload I headed out for a stiffer run at lunch.
Most of the runs I do from work are quite hilly, so you can make them as hard as you like. And whilst a recovery run is a recovery run, running hills is the best way to improve strength and endurance however fast you do it - accept no substitutes!.
Today I did a track I call the Balls Head Run. I run from work over to Balls Head via Wollstonecroft and Waverton. It is a veritable roller coaster. I do this run at least once a fortnight and have done so for years. In fact when I worked in the city I used to occasionally run over to Balls Head. But until last sunday I had never run on the short trail that winds around Balls Head. When I did get introduced last week at the pointy end of a star, it was like someone had picked me up and kicked as hard as they could, so I failed to notice the absolutely magnificent panorama from the bush lookout of Sydney Harbour in its finest. There is something very unique about our city when you can run through the bush to suddenly be greeted by the vista of the opera house and bridge - awesome. It was wonderful also to run though the big ferns and feel like you needed to keep an eye out for leaches. How good is this rain.
After Balls Head I head down to water level via the playing fields at Waverton Park. You are then faced with the nastiest of climbs out of the park via John and Dumbarton St. A bloody tough climb, but one of many on this run. Then back to work via Union and Woolcott to Balls Head Road and return to work via Gas Works Rd and Wollstonecroft. A bloody magic run but very tough.
I forgot to start my watch when I took off but this is about 9kms and I reckon it took around 40 minutes, a bloody good quality 40 minutes thats for certain.

No comments: