For those who know me reasonably well, they understand the value I place in the advice afforded by Eagle. My training revolves around a simple philiosophy he offered of 'finding where the red line is and learning to run just underneath it'. This is the most valuable lesson I have been taught in running.
If I could pinpoint one change to my training regime that has benefited my running the most, it is the longer intervals. These are designed to be uncomfortable but they teach your body how to cope for extended periods close to the red line. It also helps in running even splits.
So this morning it was my nemesis - 3 * 3km repeats. I never look forward to this. However at the end of rep number 3, you know you are so much better for that run. The only stipulation I place on myself pace wise is to run the first rep as fast as the last. It is too easy to be carried away with running the longer intervals in a given timeframe. But some mornings you just arent up to running 3 of these at 10km race pace. So I dont, the real speed comes from the shorter intervals.
I was up at 4.50 and was on the road at 5.15, off and running at 5.25. It was quite windy this morning. Said gday to the old Italian man and his dog. He was rugged up which is a good indicator to the weather conditions so I chucked on the beany.
I headed clockwise as per normal and started the first rep at actions original km marker before the bridge at the start of Dobroyd. The first rep finished in 11.45, nothing spectacular but solid. Off with the beanie also as it wasnt as cold as first thought. I slow jogged to the other side of Iron Cove and start rep number 2 at the bottom of Iron Cove bridge and through the dark on the Callan Park side and back to the Dobroyd Pde bridge in 11.59. The grass section just past Callan Park is really hard going as you cant see a thing so this one is generally a little slower(will have to find a new excuse when the days become longer!). Finished the last one from 2-5km of the challenge course in 11.41.
As I slow jogged back to the car who just happened to be their at the end? The Eagle himself - the person who introduced me to this new version of pain, who I curse repeatedly during but thank wholeheartedly when finished! Also nice to meet Miners at Lilyfield Rd this morning as he was being introduced to another world of pain on the hill by the usual suspects!
Finally, how was that freaky full moon this morning - just incredible as it sat so low on the western horizon!
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi SF,
Glad your injury wasn't as bad as you thought. Those intervals sound nasty.. I won't be trying those until I've mastered a few shorter ones..
Great to finally meet you fox. And you're right - I probably should have gone wiht you rather than up and down that hill.
Look forward to catching up properly with you sooner rather than later
Post a Comment