Saturday, June 25, 2005

5km challenge - the early addition

I always do the early shift on saturday mornings so that we can get through the days tasks without too much disruption. I like to be home before the rabbit wakes up. This morning was the cool running 5km challenge and as always I started at 6.15am. Sometimes I am joined by others, more often than not I run this solo. I do like some company however I also quite like doing this by myself so whatever happens I am not fussed. I was supposed to run with Superflake this morning but apparently when he opened his eyes, he hit the snooze button, gave his teddybear a cuddle, stuck the thumb back in and was fast asleep before you could say Mr Sandman!(only kidding fella!)
Generally I park at Montage and jog around via iron cove bridge which is a nice 3km warm up. There were 2 blokes standing at the km marker start so I went and said gday. How to look like a weirdo at 6.15am - 101...they were just a couple of punters out for a run with no idea who this strange man introducing himself was! Ahem.
Ended up with 18.28 which was around 25seconds slower than last month. I didn't run badly today I just didn't get going. From memory my splits were 3.32, 3.39, 3.48, 3.50, 3.39. I didn't struggle between 3 & 4, I just wasn't switched on.
I believe without that race focus it is going to become increasingly difficult to keep improving. In fact I would be absolutely thrilled to report in 4 months time I have managed to plateau. The pragmatic realist in me is saying let it go for the time, but the competitive bastard in me continues saying keep pushing. Less than 2 weeks to keep having this argument with myself when I will have the decision made for me by someone 38 years my junior!

1 comment:

miners said...

Hey - don't be too hard on yourself Nick. Weren't you jsut describing a groin injury to us a week or two ago? Still sounds like an awfully fast time you posted anyway