I dont have iron clad days for specific types of runs however on a tuesday or wednesday I will endeavor to rise early. I alternate each week from 2 * 4km or 3 by 3km repeat intervals or a longer tempo run of an hour at 4.00 -4.10 pace(2 laps of bay). Tue or Wed is quality specific. I always attempt with good legs and a fogless head. So if tuesday doesnt work I make sure that wednesday does. I like alternating because I find doing the same runs on the same days each week makes you stale. Comparing efforts from the previous week for quality efforts I find (for me) plays too many games between the ears. Fresh is best and is conducive for for incrimental improvements, not massive jagged spikes both ways.
This has worked well until yesterday morning. This week was my tempo run. I was up at 4.50am, a 10 minute stretch, etc and in the car by 5.10am. By 5.20am I was on the road from Montage, clockwise aroud the bay.
It is generally pretty lonely at that time of the day, however I invariably see an old Italian man with his little dog and we will have a quick chat about how cold or pleasant it is. He is a nice bloke and he was there this morning. To stave off boredom at that time I have taken to running with headphones. I throw on a ministry of sound cd for a bit of uptempo beat(no mp3 player for this dinosoar!) and generally I am pretty much straight into it.
I saw Aunty, Professor and someone else around the 2km mark of the bay challenge and gave a wave. But a little further down the road I put on a little surge and felt a slight twinge in my right groin muscle. I didnt think too much and settled back the surge and into tempo pace pretty quickly.
I always try to surge up the little rises. Going onto the Iron Cove Bridge I did just that and this time I really felt it. So a hobbled last 2.5 kms and a couple of days at least with no running.
The upshot of this is means that no more racing and the good work of the last 6 months will soon dissapear. I had set my sights on having a red hot go at the Bay to Bay on sunday as my last hurrah, however those plans have now vanished.
A lot of emotions were going through my head on that hobble back to the car. I felt very dissapointed my run was ending but very thankful for the good fortune I was afforded with my running for the first half of this year. I also think the big guy was telling me that it was time for my focus to shift to more pressing duties closer to home. So they will.
Why an injury so suddenly? Same old story for runners- too much too soon. Tough Bobbin Head star @ 4.40 clip (including all stops), a 'recovery' lap around the bay in 28 minutes the following day and a 40 minute hill tempo run on the tuesday.
The last 6 months have been the most enjoyable of my running life. I look forward to many more going forward.
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I hope you realize that I will be following your training closely hoping that at least something will rub off. :-P All the best. Gronk
Silver Fox, I've always enjoyed your post and the spirit with which they are written. I look forward to reading more here. I hope that you recover quickly and find that delicate balance between obligations to others and to self...and when you do, can you let me know how to do it!
Hey Silver (sly-blogging) Fox - great to see you blogging, although your first running topic wasn't terribly pleasing to read about. Really hope you get over this quickly mate. I like to keep track of your Strider's times & have been using you as a guide for my own training, incl C2S. Hope you're running again soon
Welcome to the world of blogging Silver Fox. Looking forward to reading yours with interest after the great improvements you have made this year.
gronk, owl, go girl, miners and horrie. You guys are probably all too aware of the "early days - how is it?" feeling. So I really do appreciate your kind words and welcome any feedback along the way. I am no Bill Gates, so it will be pretty basic but look forward to making my blogging contribution. Cheers guys I do appreciate.
Silver Fox hope you get over the little groin strain. And good to see you are doing a blog on all your running challenges. Does this mean the early start for CR challenge next week is off?
I'm sorry to read about your injury fox. Wishing you a quick and full ecovery. Good luck with the new bubs.
Fox, we're looking forward to more of your blog (especially when number 2 arrives :-). but do try to not have a new injury for each new entry...
sfG
Now this is a very welcome addition to the team of blogging cool runners, Silver Fox, but to post an injury so soon! Clever little foxes don't do things like that but if they do it doesn't last for long; so here's to a very speedy recovery & looking forward to reading more of what a 'fox' gets up to when he's on the run!
Silver Fox - welcome to the land of blogging. I'm very sorry that your first running-related post wasn't happier news. However exciting times are ahead for you. I look forward to following your journey. J
Wlecome to blog land and to Team H SF. Sorry that your first entry had to be an injury. I know the feeling as I've had so many things that have stopped me in my tracks and I've felt like I was starting again. I hope this isn't anything too serious and you'll be back on the road again soon.
Fox, nooooooooo!
Who will push me in the 5k challenge and Striders 10k now?
Well, I guess if it was going to happen, around now was probably the time, but little consolation I suppose. Good luck with the little one and look forward to seeing you out there once home life gets settled.
Wow, I am bit overwhelmed! Thanks all for your kind words and welcome - I really appreciate.
Aunty, I can think of no better compliment than to be called a gentleman, your comment means a lot.
The injury is a lot lot better than first thought, will blog it in my next post.
Post a Comment