Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Forntightly tempo run/lunchtime recovery

I was up at 5.00am this morning for my weekly longer tempo or longer repeats run. Today I decided on a longer 14km tempo run and headed out at a solid clip that I thought I could maintain with some 'fat' left. From Montage I was on the road around the bay for 2 laps at 5.30am and straight into it. Because it is dark I take my splits (thanks to Actions dots!!!) but dont really look at them until I finish.
I reckon this is a good way of teaching yourself how fast you are going versus perceived effort. Sometimes if you get a sneaky peak and see you are slower than you thought, you try and play catch ups, which is not what the run is about. It is more important to get a feel about what is the outer limit of your comfort zone for a particular distance. Also my arithmatic when I am running is complete crap and invariably stuff it up anyway. So some quick analysis at the end gives you a pretty clear idea as to how you arrived at different splits. Hopefully also they should be pretty even, which today they were.
I allow myself a quick look at the lap time, which requires my brain to tell my right thumb to press the light which is the small button on the top right of my watch which is on my left arm which is the arm opposite the arm wanting to press the buttons....as smoke billows furiously from my ears! It really is a lottery with my watch sometimes! Luckily the split button is a big red one which I have trained myself to press...and sometimes this also proves difficult!
For the record 57.54 for 2 laps of the bay, a very solid effort but as always, room to improve. This was the same run I was attempting when I strained my abducter. To be quite honest I cant even remember which side it was on which is a very good indicator everything is 100%.
I also managed to get out for a recovery run at lunch today of around 6.5kms down to Greenwich Pier and back. From the lookout above Greenwich Sailing Club I look straight across to the iron cove bridge and remind myself I have done the hard yards today so I can enjoy this short run and that there is no need to flog yourself going back up the hill!
Mother has informed me that her accupuncturist has confidently advised that "Project 'number 2'" should be delivered on time next week. The Fox inc. bean counters meantime are having kittens, as they have budgeted for the extra 1k baby bonus in fin year 05/06!
Also the midewives at the RPA birth centre are apparently having lots of slips practice in anticipation...

3 comments:

Jen said...

I really enjoy reading your blog Silverfox. I've learnt alot already about how to approach my training and how to train more effectively - I i know you don't write this for anyone else but thank you for sharing your thoughts J

CJ said...

Hi Silverfox - (belated)welcome to Team H from another Team H member. Glad (and reassured) to see someone else's arithmetic is complete crap when they run - I's the same! Also loved your description of operating your watch, again its something I can relate to! I agree with Jen_runs, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences about running.

Gronk said...

Great stuff SF. Best of luck to you and Mrs SF with the new bub. :)