Monday, June 12, 2006

10/6 - East Met Cross Country @ Sydney Park

I had visited Sydney Park in the previous week with 26 for the first time and was really impressed with what I saw. He also mentioned that the following saturday that the cross country was on. The last time I ran a cross country was in high school in the mid 80s. In fact our beloved Striders leader Orunner I am pretty sure actually lived not too far from the cross country track on an appropriately named Presidents Hill (useless trivia 101!).

Anyrate back to St Peters and Sydney Park. I got some details from Vat on the friday and secured a leave pass on a miserable windy and wet saturday afternoon. When I arrived i saw others heading around the flagged course so decided to take a look at this fabled tough hilly course. So a 2.5km warmup a chat to a few others and down to business.

Part of the plan to regain my running fitness is to get long and strong. Strength comes from running hills. No substitute. And the course got really medievil on my legs I can tell you(with apologies to Marcelus(sp) Wallace) - 9 gutwrenching climbs over 3 laps of 2.5kms.

After running 9.50 for the first lap the second and third were completed in around 10.40 each for 31.13. A bloody solid hitout though which will only make me stronger(well it didnt kill me!)

Another lap of the course to warm down. This course will become part of the training regime for sure.

Nice to catch up with so many as always.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Great to see you back racing Nick. Those hills I hope make you stronger. Doesn't help when the wet grass keeps making you slip backwards when you try to go up.

Dave said...

LOL Nick!

Yep, my parents actually still live on Presidents Hill and Henry Kendall still do their cross country on the same course.

Sounds like a good hit out!