Sunday, August 06, 2006

splashathon part 3 - Airport Adventure

A cracking run this morning. The rain actually held off for the duration of todays run despite threatening skies. The 6.20 group took off out of the blocks today and didnt ease up. We ran the duration of this run at an average of just over 4.30 pace including drink stops and a fairly hilly middle section of about 4kms.

The group comprising of Jerry, Pebbles Kelly, Sawdust, the Truscotts and Grandpa stuck together until we hit the hills. I hadnt run the hill section of this run before and was not sure if there were any hills left when Jerry and Chris T picked it up. I looked up the street and saw a nasty looking incline at the end. So instead of chasing after the 2 greyhounds I decided to hold back - if there was another hill there was no way I could have managed at the pace they took off at.

In unstar like fashion however the course actually headed downhill at this section. I was tempted at this point to try and chase down the front 2 and asked Sue if she was up to it. She used some lame excuse like running a marathon the week before...soft!

The reality was that even if I did peg back onto the front I would have used all my petrol. So we pushed on at the pace we were already running at which was around 4.20s anyway, nothing to sneeze at.

Probably not as far as I would have liked to have run but a bloody great hitout at a solid clip with good company. Congratulations to the Springers also on there news, just brilliant! 2.16 for 29.5kms, about 2.12 less drink/toilet stops. Next week must be on the feet for at least 34kms.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Great run even if it is a training run. You still have form just not the speed, seen by the 10k the day before.

Jen said...

Wow. Great run Nick. It should give you a real confidence boost