After taking the week off I finally hit the road again on saturday morning. As indicated in my previous post I pulled up very lame after the SMC long race. So much so that I decided no running during the week and paid particular care to my stretching and icing etc. I finished each day with some fairly vigorous massage with Voltarin.
Unfortunately I knew that all was not right pretty soon into my run today. However in an effort to come back up to some sort of fitness, I knew I had to nut out some kms so I don't slip too far off my fitness levels. So a moderate effort without banging my foot up even more. I had almost completed 1 lap and bumped into Shadow and his little bloke in the pram going in the opposite direction and decided to run with him. An interesting chat to say the least. He actually tore his planter from the heel and has been out of action for nearly 12 months. I think this may be the path I am heading down if I am not careful.
A quick chat to the early crew at the rowers for the 5km challenge as we went past at about 6.55am. Finished the 2 laps in just over an hour.
To be honest I don't exactly know why I am torturing myself at the moment. I think realistically I should be not running at all right now. The magic pf cure is not some fancy stretch or pill or jab, it is rest. I know this.
I think I saw the cc1/2 as a realistic chance to run a very fast 1/2. Once I was injured that opportunity went out the wondow. So why am I putting myself through all of this pain and potentially making my recovery longer? There is no real plausible answer to this question. Right now the best expectation is a solid run with some considerable pain during and after.
Runners are constantly challenging themselves, whether that is over a distance or against the clock or on a particular course. But lately I have been concerned about the decisions I am making in relation to my well being, where I am juggling a training schedule against an injury that just keeps getting worse.
Saturday, November 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment