Literally. I stepped out onto the Pacific Highway on Wednesday turned, right and prayed to the almighty that everything would be alright. It had been 5 days since I last ran and was armed to the hilt with everything a good bushdoctor would require: a search of the internet, a raid of the first aid kit at work, a pair of scissors and a wing and a prayer!
After some research I am certain that I am suffering from Plantar fasciatis(sp). I am going to get hammered here but a lot of advice I seem to dole out with gay abandon I was not following myself. In particular not stretching, not replacing worn shoes and lots of ks without rest added up to getting injured. Then ignoring and thinking it would go away. Stoopid.
I was already icing and massaging but I learnt a excellent strapping technique and this seemed to hold eveyrhing together. The problem with the injutry is that you are literally on it everytime you are vertical. Walking, geting out of bed, ther is no relief. So strapping was the answer.
I headed out today to Balls Head. I did this for 2 reasons. 1, I needed to find a run with reasonable surfaces ie minimum concrete. 2 If I want to run a half decent time on saturday I need to shock the legs back into shape with some hills.
I didnt go hard but boy I noticed how much I had dropped off in a short space of time. Also the foot held up well after being pretty sore for the first 5 minutes or so.
I must admit I was relieved to have got this run under the belt as I knew it would be make or break. To get back and feel as though I could race 10kms if I was smart was exactly why I stepped out today. The taping was a godsend also. The best thing for my foot since the injury.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment