Tuesday, September 27, 2005

3 by 3kms - long after you pay the price

'Long after you pay the price the quality still remains'. I am not sure who I have to credit for that particular saying. However it is a little mantra that goes through my brain when I am half way through a hard hit out and wanting to pull the pin.

I have really struggled post Sydney and the thing that was concerning me most was my inabilty to hang on when things got hard. My legs just didnt have the go they needed. I know that part of this was because I was still recovering. But over 2 weeks is long enough.

I am not one for sitting around moping so decided that to kickstart things again I needed to do my favourite hard session - 3 * 3kms. This is one of those runs where you are running at a bloody solid clip for a good portion of time. You have plenty of time to have internal conversations with yourself, about going harder, easing back a little, about maybe just doing 2 reps today, bloody hell still 2kms in this rep to go, gee it is muggy/windy/cold/hot thats go to count for 'x' seconds.

It is one of those runs where I am not too concerned about the actual speed, yes that is important, but moreso about pacing and teaching yourself to run around your red line for extended periods. Today was 11.05, 11.40, 11.40 with 5minute 1km recoveries. A bit of a blow out but the first was with the aid of a nice tailwind and the last 2 back into it.

I walked away from todays run the happiest have been since the marathon. It is important to have these little wins between the ears, they make a big difference. I know also that however I perform in this session I will always get something out of it. Right now that is important.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Nick, I can so relate to those internal conversations. But how good it is when you win the argument with your bad self and have a great workout!

Like you I've been struggling since Sydney, and like you I've finally had a great post mara run. Good to hear there's another happy camper out there :-)

CJ said...

I can definitely relate to what you wrote about the 3 x 3km - same sort of things go through my mind too.