Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sydney Marathon

I am not certain what it is about the Sydney Marathon but it means a great deal to me. It was the event in 2001 where I ran my first marathon and yesterday was Sydney number 5 (in a row). I am not sure what it is - its a bloody tough course and the event has had a chequered (short) history in its latest morph but like a moth to the flame it draws me back without fail.
I turned up yesterday in a very positive frame of mind. I had a plan to get out of the blocks and hopefully build a buffer in the first half to bring home that second and much tougher second half. And I bloody well almost did it. I will say unashamably that I felt very proud of my effort yesterday. My preparation wasnt ideal, but was as smart as I could manage. When Samuel blessed us with his presence 7 weeks ago, I had resigned myself then to just finish. But thanks to Mother, who is an incredibly gifted natural mum (and a wonderfully supportive wife), Number 2 very quickly settled into a routine and allowed me to eek out of the time I had a fairly reasonable if not short preparation.
To carry forward some semblance of a base was fortunate though, so it wasnt like starting from scratch. But a week out I set the bar high and decided to have a go at a sub 3. I knew endurance was my weakest link, but thought lets just see how far I can go running a smart race and see if I can hang on when it gets tough.
I got to Milsons Point Station just before the start of the half and bumped into Mohommed, Fats and Andrew T on the steps coming out of the station. We decided to head up onto the bridge deck to cheer on the fellow striders and coolrunners running the half and were joined by Springer and Coaster. We also saw Horrie and Belinda and wished them luck. That was really brilliant way to start the day and to take the mind off things. I think it is something I will do each year from now on. After all, when do you get a chance to stand in Lane 6 of the harbour bridge without a soul in sight apart from a couple of mates (and you are as sober as a judge!).
Headed back to the start and had a quick chat to Ray and we wished each other well. He has been an incredibly valuable resource and an inspiration for me this year. A very humble and decent man.
At the start line it was like Striders had booked about half the space in the first 4 rows, we were everywhere! There is a real commeraderie(sp) when you toe the line in the green and white, and gives you that extra bit of confidence.
I got off to a good start and went through 5kms in 20.07. I climbed out of the domain feeling very comfortable and joined Blue Dog who had got out to a good start, just before Oxford St running past the clubbers all the way up to Taylor Square, quite a sight. Blue dropped off as we headed towards Anzac Parade where it always seems the happy go lucky clubbers finally realise that getting home is going to be a hassle and turn a little feral. For me Oxford St is okay, a bit of a laugh - it is Flinders St where they starting getting uglier. If they make it to Anzac Parade, they have sobered up enough to realise they aint going to see a cab. It is here you are likely to meet 'Chook' and 'Digger', the last men standing from last nights footy club outing after 20 schooies after not only an unsuccesful attempt to hail a cab but an equally fruitless shot at pulling. The are not happy!
I got into Centennial Park feeling very good indeed and made it to 10 kms in 41.04(20.57 5km split) feeling very comfortable. I settled into a fgood rythym and went through 15kms in 62 minutes(20.56). This part of the course is deceptive because it is flat and the running feels easy. Still very comfortable at 20kms 82.22(20.22) and then half way in 87.10. I was starting to hurt now but still felt in control of my pace. I started to feel the affects of the wind heading back into town but knew I was well placed and comfortable. I was happy to see the down hill section going back into the city, although the climb up Wentworth St was the first nasty climb of many to come. I got to 25kms in 104.12(21.52), the first time I had dipped under my taget pace of 4.10 per km, but not a desperately bad situation. I was definitely still in sub3 frame of mind.
I also knew this is where I started to clag in Canberra and was not about to let history repeat itself. I had reached the point where it was mind versus flagging legs. I cant remmber exactly where 30kms was but I got there in 126.14(22.02). This meant I had held on to the pace from the previous 5 kms and we had run a fairly tough part of the course. At this point I started concentrating on the next 5kms which took in the section around Ultimo and the out section of the Western Distributor. This was where the rot started to set in. I was now running out of petrol and asking my brain to tell my legs to keep going. The fish market section and heading west was now hot and open and into a noticable westerly. For the first time ever my head felt like it was cooking and I had to take my hat off to allow it to cool down. I tried to tuck the hat into the back of my shorts but it felt awkward so I held onto it. We came up the western distributor towards Catherine St and Plu was there supporting striders and coolrunners. I passed my hat to him and headed out to the Norton St turnaround.
It was nice to see a friendly face in Action at the turnaround. But at his point I was praying for some respite from the incline and heat and was hoping to regather myself on the downhill return journey towards the City. At this point I was really hurting but winning the mental battle. My confidence was further boosted when I reached 35kms in 148.28(22.12). I was literally out on my feet but was buoyed by the even split. I said to myself another 22.00 minute 5km, you can do that, leaving me about 11kms for the final .
However just under the AnzacBridge overpass my dimishing sub 3 hour light shard dissapeared in the blink of an eye. I remember getting through the 35km drink station, taking my last gu and mentally preparing myself for the climbs coming back through Ultimo. I looked up to see a nasty little 50 metre climb and thinking I dont remember this. I got to the top of the short climb determined not to let it beat me. But my fuel tank light which had been on for the last 3kms or so finally got its way. I started to walk and then started to cramp. It was a very very tough last 6kms. I walked through to the end of the old Glebe Island Bridge and regrouped myself to plodding away as best as I could to the finish.
I was really proud that I didnt just turn it up here. I could have easily stopped and felt sory for myself, but I was determined to finish. I managed to shuffle to different points. I was telling myself just make it to the next corner and have a spell. I would get to the corner and then tell myself just make it to the next rise and then have a rest, come on there is a drink station in 400 metres.
I made it to Hickson Rd and found this really tough going, a long lonely boring slog. Finally I made to the climb up to observatory hill and allowed myself to walk again. No sooner had I started walking when Easy Tiger yelled out to me from 100 metres away just as I came to the Pallisade Hotel. He urged me up the climb to observatory hill which I am so appreciative of. I was beyond gone by then and when I got to the top I started walking again as I got to the downhill section towards the corkscrew.
I was at the point where I was breaking the last km or so down into the smallest of chunks. jUst get to the start of the tunnel, to the end of the tunnel, to the top of the little rise after the tunnel. The coolrunning cheersquad was stiuated towards the end of the cahill and put on a brave face for them. I remember someone recognising me and calling out my name. They were brillianr, almost formning a guard of honour for the runners to run through.
Reaching Macquarie St was a relief and for the first time in over an hour of pain I allowed myself to relax and enjoy the finish. It is hard to explain how worthwhile that last 1km is after literally battling to last 1/4 of the run. So for the first time ever I afforded myself the luxury of a bit of grandstanding into the finish. I figured today I had earnt it!
Out of any run I have completed, todays stands out as my proudest achievement. I set the bar high, I missed out but I had a red hot go. For 36 kms I ran as smartly and with as much mental application as I could muster. Whilst falling short, it gives me confidence that with a good preparation I can run a sub3 marathon.

10 comments:

Dave said...

Congrats on a brilliant run Nick! Even though you may not have had a perfect base your prep was very smart and the form was good.

A tough day with a wicked section out and back to Leichhardt but you still just about pulled a sub 3 out of the bag regardless.

Jen said...

Nick,

I just got goose bumps when reading your post.

Congratulations on a sensational run under very difficult circumstances. I hope I am there to cheer you on the day you do run sub-3.

I was the one who ran towards you waving a pom pom like a mad woman on the Cahill. I'm glad it helped :-)

Congratulations again,
J.

CJ said...

I agree with jen - I got goosebumps too, just reading your race report. The bit that got me smiling was when you were talking yourself into doing another 22min 5km - I was doing something similar but it was a 30min 5km I was aiming for! So glad it worked out for you, even if was a struggle at the end. You should be very proud of your effort - and I'm sure your family are proud of you too.

Lulu said...

Great race report SF. I'm glad our cheering helped you along that Cahill which probably seemed hellish by then.. it was hot enough just standing around cheering, let alone running. I look forward to reading your sub3 race report in due course!

Spud said...

Nick, bloody good race report and top effort mate, sometimes it's the ones that we battle through most that we are most proud of.
Sub 3 will be a shoo in for you for sure.

Congrats!

TA and the Gnome said...

Nick,
I'm glad that you're proud of your race - you have more than every right to be. I think that the cheer squad found it an honour to cheer on people like you. Thanks for a report to match your fabulous run.

sfG

Horrie said...

Nick, you've got every reason to be proud of your run. To get so close to 3 hours and run a 2 minute PB after the preparation you had speaks volumes for you. We will never forget you running across the Harbour Bridge to wish Belinda luck on her run. You are almost at a Saint's status in her eyes. You can settle back with your family for a while before you start planning for that sub 3 marathon. On an easier course in better conditions and with a proper preparation, it is only a matter of time. Well done again on your run.

26miles said...

Nick, A top run. I'm looking forward to our training together for our onslaught on Canberra '06.
I have 2 phrases written down for motivation. The first phrase is just 'Lydiard' and 2nd is 'Respect the distance'. I have a few plans which I've no doubt we will discuss over the next few weeks.

Well done on Sunday's effort you should feel rightfully proud.

Martin said...

Very well done Nick, you laid it all on the line, and left nothing out there at all. Without doubt you'll go under 3 next time. Great run.

Superflake said...

Well done on attacking the race so hungrily. With a limited endurance prep you had a superb race. Canberra 06 if you come down is sure to be the sub 3. Congratulations.