Tuesday, September 06, 2005

short and sharp

Took yesterday completely off to ensure I was recovered from the weekend running. I want to be jumping out of my skin come sunday so this week will be short and sharp days followed by recovery days. I ran for 35 minutes today, 10 minute warm up followed by 5 *1 minute on, 1 minute off then 5 * 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, then 10 minute warm down. Normally I wouldnt bother with such a warm up and warm down, but I am not taking any chances this week.

I have been thinking about how I approached Canberra this year and I will be honest enough to say that I have never been so nervous before a race, I literally couldnt speak. I am not certain how much this impacted on my result, however I know it just didnt feel right. I think it is very healthy to be nervous, it shows respect for the task ahead. However this was so far removed from my normal preparation it wasnt funny. So I am being conscious of being relaxed and 'normal' this week.

I cant wait till sunday. I honestly didnt think I would be in a position to be even contemplating running a solid time. But I have never felt better. I know I am underdone endurance wise but I am hoping that I can eek a little extra out on race day when it counts. I am ready for the challenge ahead, whatever the outcome. I am ready to see where my comfort zone finishes and how badly I want to be a sub 3 hour marathon runner.

But most of all this time around, moreso than having the mindset of having a go, I am not afraid to fail.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Nick,

Your enthusiasm, honesty and commitment inspires me. I have learnt so much from you, simply by reading your blog. I'm looking forward to chatting with you one day! I wish you all the best for Sunday and enjoy the day. See you then, Jen.

CJ said...

Good luck for Sunday - I hope it goes well for you. My main goal for the marathon is to enjoy myself and have a good time. If I do a good time then that will be a bonus. I hope its the same for you!

Horrie said...

I think you are right Nick about the amount of nervous energy you used in Canberra. Just relax and work your way into the run on Sunday and the time will take care of itself. Run well mate.