Saturday, September 03, 2005

Striders North Head 10km

This may sound stupid but I love slipping on the emerald green striders singlet when I am racing (perhaps its the paddy in me!). I spent Friday evening turning our normally tidy and organised yet humble abode upside down in search of my beloved striders singlet, which was no-where to be found. Little did I realise that back in a very dark dingy change room in St Leonards it was keeping towelly and chafe shorts company!

I am happy to say that on Monday morning the three articles were rescued safely from the cavernous perils of my works change rooms. They also reported that a cleaner was not spotted during the harrowing 96 hours they had spent there! This came as no surprise to anyone!

Meanwhile back in Manly on saturday morning, I had made my way over from the inner west with 26 accompanying. I was very mindful of the marathon in 8 days time so had decided to go out at a clip I could maintain for the endurance but with a view to leaving some petrol in the tank. I am never confident about 'what time', I just wanted to run within myself with even pacing.

I settled into a groove early on and stuck to my plan of nice even splits. Eventually the clock stopped at 37.20,(striders results say 37.18, I will take that!), a 20 second pb. Absolutely wrapped in the result when there was no expectation to do so. Also considering I have had quite a hiatus away from speed up to 2 weeks ago. I think it makes very good sense to get strong with base type training and and letting speed look after itself (to a degree).

In the last 3kms I felt like I could kick up the pace but was not going to come up to the red line. So apart from a little sprint finish as someone snuck up and kicked with about 50 metres to go(geez I hate that!), I ran a very controlled race. I would even say that I could have run under 37 minutes today if I had pushed as hard as I could.

I just hope I feel this control next sunday. A great morning out, I really love the social aspect of the striders runs as much, if not more than the running itself.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Well done Nick, you're going great guns even with the added new distractions!

I reckon you might surprise yourself this weekend, certainly you'll be fresh. Perhaps something to remember here and maybe you were a little burnt out on the run into Canberra?

Jen said...

Congratulations Nick on a sensational run & a new PB! I'm with Dave; relax, enjoy the day and I think you are going to surprise yourself on Sunday. See you then.

Jen

PS Thank you for your lovely comments. I truly appreciate it.

Superflake said...

Excellent PB Nic considering your efforts have been in other little areas in the last few months.
Hope you run well on Sunday.

Spud said...

Nick,

I am always amazed at the likes of yourself and Marty who manage to pull off PBs from nowhere, consistently. Not to say you are not doing the work, just a lot of natural talent too, I guess.

Good luck next weekend!