Friday, September 16, 2005

the slice and dice and what next

I read with great interest over the last week the to do list for different coolrunners. I purposefully didnt post anything there becasue to be quite honest I want to have a rest. Some people love that constant challenge. I much prefer to stop and smell the roses every now and then to reflect on what has transpired and to hopefully make some sound calls re what to do next with the benefit of time.

Just finally on Sydney. I felt a sense of accomplishment that you only get when you know in your heart you have given everything you had on a given day. I said to 26 miles in a short post race email that I did not have a sniff of petrol left in the tank when I crossed the line. I also have never taken so long to recover from a race. Iwas as beat up after that run as I ever have been.

I took some time off this week to nurse some minor and not so minor niggles back to some semblance of normal. I also wanted to freshen up between the ears. Sydney was a short but pretty intense build up for me. I still want to do a bit of racing over summer but not build up specifically for it. The striders 10kers, a few SMC races and the central coast half are on the radar but whilst I will still have a red hot go, it will be about catching up with running friends just as much.

My main focus will now shift to Canberra on April next year. I was toying with the idea of running 6ft track but that will have to wait until 2007. The honest truth is that I want to give myself every opportunity to run that sub 3 hour time. The reality is that for both Canberra and Sydney I was probably lacking endurance. I do not want to have that excuse again. To get that endurance I need to make incremental increases to my base, which means not dropping the ball too much now. To remain injury free, the intensity has to back off. Its all a balance, but there is no point running fast if you cant go the distance.

Thank you also for the kind words, I am never ceased to be amazed at the generosity of spirit in which Coolrunning and blogging is so richly immersed. It is a real pleasure to be part of it all.

No comments: