Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Finally running again (but still no baby!)

Mother was due today, however no movement in the station so to speak. Its gone a bit 'Stepford Wives' in our house at the moment. With Mother at home, I can get up a bit later and when I get downstairs for breakie, my lunch is already packed and the rabbit is ready for daycare. All I need is for my slippers and pipe to be brought to me when I get home! I cant say that I dont like this setup, however I know the bubble will soon burst! If it did continue I would be very suspicious that my 'stepford' wife had turned into the 'desperate house' variety!
I managed to finally get out at lunch yesterday. I have not wanted to stray too far from home butI have decided to run with the mobile so that I can be contacted if need be. I made sure I set aside time for a 50 minute run and headed from work in St leonards to the southern steps of the bridge and back. This is a bees' shy of 12kms. So with 3 day no running fresh legs I took off like a bull at a gate.
This run is pretty much downhill out/uphill back. If you are struggling at half way you are going to have an ugly trip home. I got to the south side of the bridge in 23.30 and returned home in 26.15. I went out way too hard and discovered the hard way that my endurance is waining. Surprise surprise... Normally I like to take the half way split and try and stay a minute within that, so I head out at an appropriate pace and make the backend of this run really count. But today I went a bit silly early.
I need to make these limited opportunities count over the next few months if I am to have any hope of running Sydney this year. Today was a little kick up the bum to remind myself that even pacing is a major piece of the puzzle. I cant do much about my endurance waining and hence my speed, but with limited opportunities I need to make these runs high on quality. Heading out like a gazelle and returning like a wounded hippo isnt the way to do it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Time for a hot curry and a ride on the back of a motor bike, nothing surer to induce labour!