Sunday, July 31, 2005

Underneath the flightpath

One of the joys of innerwest living is aircraft noise. I headed out today after the rabbit and number2 had settled for a sleep at around midday. I decided to up the distance a little today with a view to having my longest run in around 3 weeks time. I hit the road and headed up Stanmore Road with a view to running a good section of the Balmain Bungle.
However as I headed south along Wardell Rd I decided that I had always wanted to check out the section of bike track from Tempe to Brighton(I have run most of the section from Tempe to Homebush). This is relatively flat so decided to add some hills around the back of Marrickville and Earlwood. I then headed back to Tempe via Bayview Road and onto the bike track. Quite interesting if not a little lonely. The one thing that struck me was the ever presence of planes, taking off overhead, the view from Bayview Rd of the airport, the noise. Quite an interesting distraction. Also some interesting sites around a very different part of Sydney, Golf course turning into reclaimed mangroves, turning into freeway underpasses turning into a mass of playing fields turning into onknown canals. The most bizarre thing was a very sizable market garden less than15kms as the crow flies from the city. Very strange but quite an interesting section of Sydney you wouldnt see normally. The downside however was the majority of the run being on concrete paths. I dont care what anyone says, if you run too much on it it will bang up your legs. I have a very tender right achilles now that probably warrants some rest but is a niggle in the big picture for the marathon. I know I would stop running if it was any worse.
A nice run today of around 24.5kms in 1hour 51mins including all stops. Good for the confidence to start the long runs again. Around 86kms for the week also, absolutely wrapped to be able to get that many in.

No comments: