I toyed yesterday with the idea of running with the striders this morning but to be honest I wasnt in the mood for company. Normally I absolutely love the stars for no other reason than to chat for a couple of hours. Today was one of those days where I wanted to be alone with my thoughts. I was up in time and did the whole yes no yes no thing but just wanted to go solo today.
Mother had a great nights sleep courtesy of her sister, a masseur who came and gave her a 2 hour rub last night. They were still at it when I went to bed and she woke up feeling a lot better.
So I took off armed with the mobile vibro and our new mp3 player for a 2 hour run. I havent truelly run long for over a month so took off at a suitable pace accordingly. I really had no plan on where I was going apart from heading towards the city. I also wanted to be no further than 30 minutes from home just in case. So I ran from home through camperdown, past sydney uni, down city rd and bay st, across wentworth park thru the back of Ultmo, across the bridge at darling harbour to the city. I decided to have a look at the new back end climb of the marathon, ie the wind up thru the rocks to the bridge.
My initial fears of it being hard going were well founded. I honestly think this route will last no longer than a year, personally I reckon it is an unrealistic ask at that stage of a marathon. The thing that struck me was that as you kept looking ahead there was another reminder of how much further you had to climb. I will still be there (hopefully!).
I crossed under the bridge at Observatory Hill and ran around circular Quay, the Opry House and the Gardens. I am amazed that such a beautiful setting is less popular than say the bay run, it is simply magnificent at that time of the morning. I must make a point of running there more on the weekend. I wound around Mrs Macs back up to the domain and across to the eye hospital. Down Martin Place and King St, past the slip inn and across the bridge at darling harbour again. Thru the back of Ultimo out onto the anzac, down Victoria Rd to the Iron Cove Bridge and south along the bay run. Down the dog loop and back up Marion winding my way home via Norton.
A really nice run of 2.03, not sure how far but around 28kms I would say. Nice to get some distance back into the legs. A good head clearer also.
The rabbits mothers group had a combined 2 year bday party at a local pub and mother just couldnt face a 1000 questions. So I took the rabbit to join the festivities. An afternoon in the beer garden at the Barley, its a tough life but someones gotta do it!

2 comments:
Hi Nick,
I share your concern on the climb from Hickson Rd to Observatory Hill. In fact I have now adjusted the course for all of my long runs I do from home to include a km long climb right at the end to try and get the legs used to climbing while fatigued.
All the best on the pending rabbit #2 arrival, can't be far now surely!
Sometimes getting out on your own is what you need to clear the head and come to terms with the stress you are enduring at the moment. I can empathise with you waiting for that arrival. You just have to tough it out and be patient Nick. I am sure the moment will arrive soon and will be all the more special because you had to wait so long for it.
Post a Comment