Sunday, October 23, 2005

Do the hustle

Sounds like an Australian Idol songchoice on seventies night, but it was the Homebush Hustle Star this morning. I have decided no runs greater than say 27 or 28kms until the new year, when I start my Canberra prep proper. But the long will be maintained, hopefully the stars will offer an opportunity to run this distance each week.

This was my first star in some time and it was great to see so many friendly faces in the smallish turnout. However the small turnout was low in numbers but high in quality as the 6.20 group set off including David G, Tony F, Gerry A, Peter C and later to be joined by Darren B. And once we got going it was on today. A fair clip was established early. Running alongside Springer, you would think to be at the pointy end of the pack...no chance we hadnt run 3kms and we had a job of tacking back onto the group who had put 40 metres into us before you could say boo. It was going to be one of those mornings!

We made our way through the back of the Olympic site and unfortunately David G pulled up with a crook foot. We also mucked up the directions a little but just meant we ran an anticlockwise section clockwise. The pace didnt ease up as Fats and DB took the front running with a straggle of us in there wake. It was really pleasant running through the parklands around the stadium however, I hadnt ventured over there before.

But the group splintered a little here. I have blogged recently about changing up my routine a little to keep it interesting. Today I decided, bugger it, I am going to try and tack back onto Fats and DB. So instead of sitting back with the pack I headed off with a mission to try and reel these 2 in.

So for about 2ms I chased them down and finally managed to tack back on. Once back on my thoughts were to try and hang on to these 2 as long as possible. The funny thing was I was blowing and puffing, yet these 2 were chatting as if they were taking a stroll. After about 2-3kms, I eventually wilted and was dropped in the blink.

I went through a very rough patch where I almost succumbed to walking but just threw one leg in front of the other and by the time I eventually made it home, I had regathered myself pretty much.

Without a doubt though one of the best quality runs I have done in some time. I have thought long and hard about what ineed to do to cut 7 minutes off my marathon time. One thing I do know is that I need to put a bit more into my longer efforts.

Today I made a bit of a judgement error in thinking I may hold on to 2 bloody good runners and paid the price. But one thing is for certain, I am not going to die wondering this time around and if that means getting dusted occasionally by the big boys on sunday morning so be it. I will not be afraid to extend myself. Today was a great lesson and a really worthwhile effort, runs like this only make you stronger. Finished 26kms in 1.49.

4 comments:

Lulu said...

Sounds like a great run SF. I know what you mean about running with people who are chatting away and making it look easy while you are puffing and panting.. sounds like most of my runs :)

Superflake said...

Good run Nick. You know DB and Fats are only supposed to run with the 6:30 starters. I see your pace was 4:19 per klm. Doesn't help the pacing of the groups when two faster runners start earlier. Good to see you tried to hang on though. I'll be training with the 6:20 group when I start doing canberra stuff unlike this year with the 6:10. Should make us both get the sub 3hr.

Unknown said...

You're a determined young fella, SF! I'll give you 10/10 for "Learning"!

Horrie said...

You are always putting quality into your training Nick and that is the reason you have improved so much this year. I think your idea of not sitting in your comfort zone on your long runs should prepare you well for the tough parts of Canberra. Great to see you're still challenging yourself.