Saturday, October 01, 2005

Striders 10km series Homebush

A new look at Homebush with the start about 1.5kms on from the old one and a couple of loops of a big old carpark. I always thoroughly enjoy the social aspect of the runs. It is like catching up with your non running mates, except it is 6.30 am as opposed to pm and you are not in a pub, well there has been the very odd exception to this rule!

I am no fan of Homebush to be honest. I actually thought that the new course may have been faster as there were only 2 laps of Wentworth Common, (commonly referred to as the sandpit) and the significant hill was now early on in each lap. Well nice thought but not well put into practice.

Today was a struggle from the get go. I have lamented previously about the post marathon struggle. It was illuminated again via a slowish time after working hard as I had in me on the day. So the effort levels were pleasing but the legs didnt want to offer the same rewards! Ended up with 37.52, 34 seconds slower trhan last month.

I am not terribly dissapointed with the effort, just moreso with the big picture. Last month I ran very much within myself. I think I had another 30 seconds in me at least and finished in 37.18. Then to turn around and bust a hump for a considerably slower time is a little deflating.

Anyway, as I always say to others struggling, just keep chipping away, I will get there eventually.

1 comment:

Horrie said...

Nick, you ran a marathon 3 weeks before so no surprise the legs had no speed in them. Give yourself a break mate. Freshen up and then you'll be giving sub 37 a crack. Give yourself time! It will happen!