Saturday, August 27, 2005

5km challenge - the late edition

Today was the saturday in the month when the 5km challenge is run. Normally I like to head out and do this at 6.15am however this is not an option as it leaves Mother with 2 children to get ready in the morning and it only takes one of them to be having a bad day to create havoc.

After getting through saturday morning chores and putting the kids down for a sleep I hit the road at 1.00pm. As per routine I warmed up with a light jog around from Montage. I really wanted to have a dip today as the 1km repeats I ran on thursday indicated I was in fair shape.

I ran 18.01 after giving just about all I had, a 1 second pb. I dearly wanted to get under 18 minutes after I got out to a good start, running the first 2 kms in 6.59. However it was a real struggle holding that pace and whilst the last 3 were run consistently at 3.40 pace I just didnt have that kick in that last km. I got to 4kms in 14.21 and I knew I just had to run a 3.35ish to get the time I wanted. While the mind was willing the legs were found wanting as I just couldnt find a kick anywhere in that last km.

So mildly dissapointing but a good result considering the lack of speedwork and the fact I was running solo. And a pb is a pb so I will take it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Mate, you have to be happy with that, given your recent program and "distractions"!

Good to see you today and look forward to catching up again on the 11th.