It is very easy to lose sight of what drives you to run. We all have different reasons but I started this year with a simple philosophy of ensuring I enjoyed my running first and foremost. Whilst I havent strayed too far away from that premise sometimes you do lose sight of that logic.
I remember as if yesterday when I did my first striders 10km race a few years ago drinking a can of coke and eating a piece of cake before 8.00am in the morning, thinking, this is what its all about. Nothing flash but a simple pleasure. Thats what I want out of my running, a simple pleasure.
The reality is we are masters of our own destiny. Enjoyment is the destination, how we choose to get there is very much an individual choice. Whether we gain pleasure from beating a time, reaching a goal, setting out new challenges or just getting out the door and putting one foot in front of the other, or some of, or all of the above, like anything in life we must have a reason to do so.
I have lamented recently of aches and pains and harbour an unhealthy fear of failing miserably on September 11. I also wish that I could have had a better preparation. It makes me think of Canberra as an opportunity lost. All of this has impacted considerably on my enjoyment levels. But I know that I cant wait till race day, I love that feeling of anticipation and nervousness associated with the time preceding the start & I know it will be worth it.
A recovery run today down the trail to Berry Head from Wollstoenecroft and around the harbour to Balls Head, around 9kms, mainly on trails and no time recorded.
Monday, August 22, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you for reminding me of things I often forget in the madness that is life. I'm looking forward to cheering you on in Sydney next month.
J
Post a Comment