Thursday, August 18, 2005

Back into speedwork

I organised to hook up with 26 miles(Steve F) for a run tonight. I have been meaning to run with Steve for some time. I used to pass him on my way home from work (me driving, him running from St leonards to Newtown!) and got to know him via the striders 10km races whereby you could pretty much always guaruntee throwing a blanket over us time wise. Its incredible the quality of person you meet through the striders and Steve is no exception to that, a very decent and kind fella and a bloody good runner to boot. So I was really looking forward to my run tonight.

I havent done any proper speedwork for some time as I was concerned about the impact it may have on my foot. But I thought I am going to have to get back into some speedwork at some stage and I figured tonight its now or never.

We did a session called Mona Fartlek which comprises of a series of efforts followed by an equal amount of recovery. The session went (hard/easy) 2 * 90 4* 60 4*30 4*15. I struggled with the first effort but thankfully warmed into the session. I didnt feel particularly fast but I felt strong which was really encouraging. Thankfully Steve had some c2s in his legs still as I would have had to be scraped off the pavement if we went the extra 300 odd metres he had done in the same session 2 weeks prior!

It was great to open up again but I must admit the achilles and heel felt pretty chopped up when I cooled down. I have scheduled a rest day tommorow and will take sat off also if I feel it necessary.

1 comment:

CJ said...

I was reading about Mona Fartlek in the latest Runners World - was also thinking of giving it a go. How's your training for Sydney marathon working out, what with the sore achilles and a new baby?