Monday, August 08, 2005

Some new trails and a history lesson

I hooked up today at lunchtime with a couple of guys from work who are keen orienteers and general 'outddoorsy' types. I am happy to do whatever on mondays as long as it isnt too over the top effort wise. In particular with my achilles right now I didnt want to over extend myself and even more so with tired legs courtesy of yetserday.
We decided to head down towards Berry Head and stick on trails as much as possible. My compass wielding mates decided to take off and before I knew it I was struggling to keep up heading down to Berry Head via the trail from Wollstonecraft. I am shocking at running in the bush, it really is a great skill I think. But I didnt want to do anything silly so I found myself tagging around 30 metres behind them.
We then made our way around to Balls Head via the eastern waterfront from Waverton, this is part of Sydney I had never seen before taking in some old Sydney historical sites. The area apparently was one of many used by the military in the second world war in the event of an enemy attack via the harbour. Also saw some aboriginal carvings (of fish, next to the water, go figure!). We then headed along the eastern side of Balls Head where extensive paths have been set up taking in some incredible views of the harbour looking east towards the city. Around Balls Head on the trail at the bottom near the waters edge (again never used this trail before) and back to work pretty much the same way.
A most enjoyable run, the only downside was the amount of concrete paths, however after the frenetic start we ran at a fairly liesurely pace so my achilles actually feels a bit better today.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Glad to hear the achilles feels a bit better today. What an interesting run too BTW.

Unknown said...

I don't know that part of Sydney, Silver Fox, but it's good for the mind & heart (& of course the legs!) to find new & interesting places to run. That was a good one from every point of view...especially from the point of view of those fish carvings!

Hope you & 'mother & bubs' are all doing well.