Monday, August 29, 2005

recovery run

After having a busy day at work, we had a real struggle getting the kids bathed and into bed by 7.30. Getting the dinners and baths co-ordinated is very similar to an intricate Wallaby backline move. When it comes off it is poetry in motion with the kids gojng through many sets of hands. But if it goes pearshaped and one of us is isolated after poor handling it is like getting a hospital pass in front of one of the all black loose forwards, you know you are going to get hammered!

By the time we finished it was 8.00pm before I got out the door. It was a beautiful evening to run, quite mild with just a waft of a warmish breeze to make running in a singlet absolutely no problem whatsoever. I did the Balmain Rd run but with the foot off the accelerator. I got through in just under 67 minutes. I did the same run about 9 minutes faster last week. Tonight it was great just to back off and enjoy.

I find when I am running like this that I think about how I am going to tackle race day. I am toying with the possibility of going out at Sydney at sub 3 hour pace and seeing how long I can hang on. I have managed to average around 80kms per week for the last 5 weeks, not enough of a base and the key long runs are missing. I also know that this is not the course to go out too hard on. So I have a decision to make, whether to throw caution to the wind or to be conservative and run a more comfortable pace. I will decide after getting some advice from a few people whose opinion I value, at this stage I am still undecided.

No comments: