Sunday, August 07, 2005

Woodstock fun run and a longish run

I am spent. Today started just before 5.00am with number 2 gracing the new day with a clear set of lungs that he wasnt afraid to use! This was by far his most unsettled day where he just couldnt settle for any great length of time. It was a reality check for both mother and I who really have had a reasonable run over the last 2 weeks with him.

I headed over to Burwood this morning with the rabbit to run the Woodstock 7.75 km fun run. So after endeavouing to settle number 2 several times and get the rabbit ready at the same time we eventually hit the road by 7.30. For the benefit of any parents there is the best slippery dip at the woodstock community centre for the kids. The rabbit was pushing cheeky 8 year old boys out of the road to get on it again(and again...)! Apart from the slippery dip, there was also an excellent community fun run put on. We started at the tail of the field but before long we found some clear road. There were a few hills throughout, but we set out to enjoy first and foremost. But by 3kms I was struggling nad to be honest I was quite happy to reach the finish line in a reasonable time of 33.46.

We hung around at the end chatting to a couple CRs, JD Flake and Easy Tiger. A really pleasant morning.

We came home and the rabbit went to sleep at around midday as did number 2 so I headed out the door again for 17.5kms to the bay and back. My achilles is very painful as is my heel, however I am resigned to the fact that I will have to put up with some discomfort for the next month or so. In the scheme of things it is a niggle but the achilles in particular worries me. The heel warms up but the achilles feels as though it could 'snap' with one misplaced step. No doubt the heel and achilles are directly related. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get through the next few weeks and head into the taper for Sydney. I really took it easy on this run. I literally hobbled through in 1.22 whereas the last time I did this run I did in 1.12. i tried also wherever possible to stay on soft surfaces, but this is virtually impossible for good stretches of this run.

Number 2 really kept us honest today. I took him out for a walk at around 5.00pm in an attempt to settle him. We had the pleasure of the Eagles company this afternoon who was dropping his son off at school as we were walking by. We havent run together for a while and probably wont for some time so it was really fortuitous to bump into him. I just love chatting to him, he is a very level headed and pragmatic man, if not also incredibly inspiring.

One thing is for sure, Sydney is going to be ugly, but character building!

1 comment:

CJ said...

Fingers crossed SF that your achilles improves - please take care. Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog - it really does help! Are you doing C2S or will you give your achilles a break?