It was really great heading out with the striders again this morning. It had been around 2 months since I last ran a star but had made a special request with mother to run this morning as it would be my last long run before the marathon. I wanted it to be sharp also, just to get a feel for race pace. After running afew minutes late I was provided that sharp opportunity courtesy of a 6.20 group that included Springer, Andrew T, Sue K, O Runner, Sawdust, Luke S, Barry R and Peter C, pretty reasonable company. I spent the first 10kms or so running solo chasing down the pack and expected to struggle in the back end.
I think the chasing down situation was a blessing in disguise. Today was a 26.5 km effort that would have been easy to coast as it is a relatively flat run. I managed to run with good rythym and held reasonable form over the distance. However Luke S called for a bit of an effort with about 3kms to go and he and Andrew showed just how strong they are by gapping me in a blink of the eye.
I remember trying to lift my effort to stop the gap opening up but just had nothing comparitively. The run was completed in 1.55 icluding all stops so a really pleasing effort none the less. But my back end endurance is lacking, yesterdays 5km also showed that.
In the marathon I must set out at a pace I know I can maintain for the duration. If I attempt any heroics I know I will pay dearly, so the cape will be left at home, Clark Kent will be running sep 11 and Superman can have the day off!
Sunday, August 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great to see you out there Nick. It is a very hard thing to do, the balance of running with a new baby. Your form doesn't seem to have suffered too much. Hope you have a great run in 2 weeks time.
Post a Comment